Turn on thread page Beta

What shall I do? I really want to do A levels ... watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I'm in year 12, I decided to take an extra year to improve my GCSE's grades and my English language. For the current time I'm expected to have 9 subjects with a grade C and above in the end of this school year.
    The problem is that I recently applied to one of the schools and they told me if I will get an English on a grade below C, then they wouldn't let me take an A levels, because this is their entry requirements.
    Despite what I've been told I feeling upset and destroyed, because English isn't my first language as I came in UK 3 years ago and all this time I worked hard to achieve a good grades.
    It means that I cannot do A levels, because my English Language exam is probably failed and I would get a D grade. Despite that I got maths on grade A , Art A, ICT A , etc.
    I don't understand why I cannot do A levels if the subjects which I want to do aren't requiring C grade for English.
    What shall I do? I really want to do A levels ...

ReputationRep:
    well i dont have english language an they let me do a levels i am currently studying a level business a level maths and a level soxciology i think you should contact some other colleges and see what they say you never know if u do fail they may let u resit the english gcse as well as do ur a levels. alternatively u could do a btec which is the same as an a level.

good luck !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student No-253)
    Basically I'm in year 12, I decided to take an extra year to improve my GCSE's grades and my English language. For the current time I'm expected to have 9 subjects with a grade C and above in the end of this school year.
    The problem is that I recently applied to one of the schools and they told me if I will get an English on a grade below C, then they wouldn't let me take an A levels, because this is their entry requirements.
    Despite what I've been told I feeling upset and destroyed, because English isn't my first language as I came in UK 3 years ago and all this time I worked hard to achieve a good grades.
    It means that I cannot do A levels, because my English Language exam is probably failed and I would get a D grade. Despite that I got maths on grade A , Art A, ICT A , etc.
    I don't understand why I cannot do A levels if the subjects which I want to do aren't requiring C grade for English.
    What shall I do? I really want to do A levels ...
    Have you spoken to the school directly about this or is it something you have deduced from their website, for example? They might make an exceptionn if you can demonstrate knowledge elsewhere, such as in maths or ICT as you have suggested.
    However, I can also understand their point because if you are attending classes taught in English but aren't up to a certain standard you may struggle.

Edit: Also, what are you looking at studying? Courses such as History or Philosophy, or anything involving essay writing or reading could be a disadvantage. However something such as ICT, Maths or Art is more expressive and doesn't require as much English skill.

ReputationRep:
    If i were you i would consider doing A Levels at college or a sixth form with lower entry requirements. Although going to a good school is important at the end of the day as long as you're doing the A Levels you want to then you should be fine. If you cant find a school or college with the entry requirements then you should try and apply to sit the exam, so call up the exam boards you want to do courses with and ask them how much it would cost to do the exam and where you could do it.

hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Have you spoken to the school directly about this or is it something you have deduced from their website, for example? They might make an exceptionn if you can demonstrate knowledge elsewhere, such as in maths or ICT as you have suggested.
    However, I can also understand their point because if you are attending classes taught in English but aren't up to a certain standard you may struggle.

Edit: Also, what are you looking at studying? Courses such as History or Philosophy, or anything involving essay writing or reading could be a disadvantage. However something such as ICT, Maths or Art is more expressive and doesn't require as much English skill.
    I want to do
    1) A level Maths (They ask A in maths)
    2) Further Maths ( They ask A in maths)
    3) Computing (They ask B in maths)
    4) Economics (They ask B in maths and English)
    But I don't have any problems in terms of writing. I do ICT, where is 2 assignments and you must to write a quality essay at 4000 words to get C grade. I completed my both assignments and I got A for both of them.
    In my opinion they shouldn't worry about my English, it always keep progressing.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Student No-253)
    I want to do
    1) A level Maths (They ask A in maths)
    2) Further Maths ( They ask A in maths)
    3) Computing (They ask B in maths)
    4) Economics (They ask B in maths and English)
    But I don't have any problems in terms of writing. I do ICT, where is 2 assignments and you must to write a quality essay at 4000 words to get C grade. I completed my both assignments and I got A for both of them.
    In my opinion they shouldn't worry about my English, it always keep progressing.
    Contact the school. Its down to them. They want it for Economics which has a high English content. Tell them in your opinion they shouldn't worry etc.

Otherwise consider doing Economics or all of them elsewhere.
    Maybe talk to the person who will be teaching the Economics A level.
    Stop spamming.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.