Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cambridge gowns for new postgrad watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, So I'm heading to Cambridge next year for a masters, and I believe I will need a gown for formal dinners at my college (Johns). Is it standard to wear the undergraduate gown you used to graduate in, or should I get a different one when I arrive in Cam?
    Just as I'm booking a gown for graduation and need to know whether to rent or buy. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedward)
    Hi, So I'm heading to Cambridge next year for a masters, and I believe I will need a gown for formal dinners at my college (Johns). Is it standard to wear the undergraduate gown you used to graduate in, or should I get a different one when I arrive in Cam?
    Just as I'm booking a gown for graduation and need to know whether to rent or buy. Thanks!
    You'll need to get a gown to wear at John's dinners. Which one depends on what age you are, presuming you don't have a Cambridge degree already: if you are 23 years of age or younger, you'll need a BA gown. Otherwise, you'll need an MA gown (if you are over 23). You can usually buy them when you get to Cam: either buy it new from somewhere like Ryder & Amies, or buy a secondhand one from somewhere like the Graduate Union, or from a student who is leaving or who needs a different gown - you'll often see notice posted around, and on Facebook pages and the like. You should not wear the gown that you graduated from your previous university in, as it may not be the same, and do not buy the St John's undergraduate gown, as that it is also different and technically won't be correct for you. Usually you'll find it easiest to get your hands on the correct one when you arrive in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    You'll need to get a gown to wear at John's dinners. Which one depends on what age you are, presuming you don't have a Cambridge degree already: if you are 23 years of age or younger, you'll need a BA gown. Otherwise, you'll need an MA gown (if you are over 23). You can usually buy them when you get to Cam: either buy it new from somewhere like Ryder & Amies, or buy a secondhand one from somewhere like the Graduate Union, or from a student who is leaving or who needs a different gown - you'll often see notice posted around, and on Facebook pages and the like. You should not wear the gown that you graduated from your previous university in, as it may not be the same, and do not buy the St John's undergraduate gown, as that it is also different and technically won't be correct for you. Usually you'll find it easiest to get your hands on the correct one when you arrive in Cambridge.
    Great thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know, not sure why Cambridge couldn't stick that on the website!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know, not sure why Cambridge couldn't stick that on the website!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I imagine it's because every college is different with regards to whether you need a gown or not. Some colleges don't wear them for formal halls or other such occasions, so it would be quite unnecessary for students of those colleges to purchase them. Having it on the general university site could cause confusion. I think St John's provides you with the info you need about gowns at some point before arriving in any case, alongside other matriculation information, but now you're forewarned

ReputationRep:
    Slightly unrelated question, but what course are you going to be studying and what was the offer grade requirements, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PostGrad221)
    Slightly unrelated question, but what course are you going to be studying and what was the offer grade requirements, if you don't mind me asking?
    Mast in Applied Maths, and I need a 1st

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.