The Student Room Group

What should I take/do?

Hey, I haven't yet decided where I want to go to sixth form. My own school have given me a condition and our school is not a grammar and two grammar schools have given me conditional offers. Is it worth going to a grammar school for sixth form?
Also, I'm stuck about what I want to take, I was planning on doing 4 A levels of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Geography because I wanted to go in medicine or the science side of medicine such as biochemistry. Is Maths too difficult at A level? If I don't take it can I still do medicine/science related medicine? If I don't want to do maths should I only do 3 A levels as I can't think of another subject to do? I think that I can get an A at GCSE in maths but will I be able to cope at A level?
I'm very confused/stuck, thanks a lot whoever answers
Yes of course you can cope at A level with an A in GCSE. Not like people in B-A boundary are going to have mental breakdowns at A level.

Maths it depends on how well you can get the content since some can easily struggle, I got an A in GCSE and got 89% UMS in AS, one of the question types in C2 maths I didn't get till a week before the exam. This year I've easily understand the content first time, though took its time to be able to understand some questions like one saying cos(4vita) + 4cos(2vita) = cos^4 (vita) +3. In A level you will need to do lots of exam practice because exam questions are far harder than questions in class etc.
No you don't need maths for medicine.
I would still keep maths because it keeps your options open for uni subjects if medicine still doesn't interest you, also if you don't do well in one of your planned subjects to do in 3rd year you have maths to fall back on.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest