Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Happy Independence Day watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I know we have a few Amercians on the board, so heres to July 4th.

Hope everyone has a fantastic day, and enjoys all the fireworks and the shed loads of televised baseball in the afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    what?! don't celebrate a military/political and economic defeat and a war in which our soldiers were killed/slain and urinated on !!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    what?! don't celebrate a military/political and economic defeat and a war in which our soldiers were killed/slain and urinated on !!!

I'm not celebrating it - just leaving somewhere for our American collegues to post.

ReputationRep:
    That is very thoughful of you. I was going to do so myself but it apears you beat me to it. I would start up a song or something but it seems kind of pointless to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    That is very thoughful of you. I was going to do so myself but it apears you beat me to it. I would start up a song or something but it seems kind of pointless to do so.

it is actually, i got a bit 'frantic' then ! lol it's a touchy subject, as i'm very interested in the Rev. War

ReputationRep:
    Probably cos its already 2 1/2 hours into July 4th over here !! :cool:

I think we get coverage of the White Sox @ Cubs over here tomorrow night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Probably cos its already 2 1/2 hours into July 4th over here !! :cool:

I think we get coverage of the White Sox @ Cubs over here tomorrow night.
    Our eastern seaboard doesn't even reach independece day for another 2 hours and 4 minutes.

it is actually, i got a bit 'frantic' then ! lol it's a touchy subject, as i'm very interested in the Rev. War
    Are you scottish or do you just like people who kill englishmen and then go and join the revolution and end up with really expensive boats?

ReputationRep:
    Our eastern seaboard doesn't even reach independece day for another 2 hours and 4 minutes.

Are you scottish or do you just like people who kill englishmen and then go and join the revolution and end up with really expensive boats?

lol no - i'm interested in the Loyal and British side, Banastre Tarleton all the way

ReputationRep:
    lol no - i'm interested in the Loyal and British side, Banastre Tarleton all the way
    But John Paul Jones was a scottish man who fled from Great Britian and then later caputred the HMS Drake. He was hardly a loyalist.

ReputationRep:
    happy independence day...

ReputationRep:
    But John Paul Jones was a scottish man who fled from Great Britian and then later caputred the HMS Drake. He was hardly a loyalist.

hahahaha - yes, yes i know - i am interested in him also, as he wanted to be in the Royal Navy, but he was too lowly born to be of any worth in it !

he is the exception.

ReputationRep:
    Ya Its Very Nice You Put Happy Independance Day, But What About Canada Day, Arent We Included.

O Right We Dont Matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    Ya Its Very Nice You Put Happy Independance Day, But What About Canada Day, Arent We Included.

O Right We Dont Matter.
    Go ahead and start a Canada Day thread. Nobody is stopping you. How many canadians are there on here anyways?

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe at 'white sox', these American teams have such odd names...!

ReputationRep:
    Both sides were British, the revolutionary war was an imperial civil war - the first American ~ British war came in the early 19th century as youre aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nan Siarich)
    Both sides were British, the revolutionary war was an imperial civil war - the first American ~ British war came in the early 19th century as youre aware.
    It's America's 228th Independence Day I think...according to my dad anyway, but he didn't fly off to California as per usual to celebrate, saying there was little cause to do so, presumably this attitude is about Iraq and the upcoming presidential elections in America but I think today shouldn't be overshadowed by the controversy surrounding G.B administration's foreign policy but rather celebrating the history and traditions of the US

ReputationRep:
    This is all rather curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nan Siarich)

true - it was a civil war, but how can it be Imperial? those colonies were ours, we created them and sent people to them, it was hardly belligerent Imperialism !

Imperialism would be the scramble for Africa and takeover of India

ReputationRep:
    true - it was a civil war, but how can it be Imperial? those colonies were ours, we created them and sent people to them, it was hardly belligerent Imperialism !

Imperialism would be the scramble for Africa and takeover of India
    I did not mean imperialism. It was a war within the empire, thus an imperial civil war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)

O Right We Dont Matter.

Had we realised that we had some Can's on the board, and when Canada Day was ... but as you've been hinted at, post one if it so pleases you.

Unfortunately we don't have a huge diary big enough to deal with all the international celebrations all over the world, nor do we have the knowledge to know how each is celebrated.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.