Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Happy Independance day Y'all!

ReputationRep:
    Happy Independence Day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    But John Paul Jones was a scottish man who fled from Great Britian and then later caputred the HMS Drake. He was hardly a loyalist.
    Yep but why does your post sound like you're saying being Scottish and loyalist are incompatible. On the contrary...a lot of the strongest loyalists were Scottish. Just have to have a look at the number of Scots that ended up in Canada...

Plus let me remind you, you won your independence from the British, not from the English...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Yep but why does your post sound like you're saying being Scottish and loyalist are incompatible. On the contrary...a lot of the strongest loyalists were Scottish. Just have to have a look at the number of Scots that ended up in Canada...

Plus let me remind you, you won your independence from the British, not from the English...
    Scottish emigration to Canada was mainly due to the Highland Clearances forcing people off the land in the North. There weren't enough jobs in the central belt, so people emigrated. Not necessarily due to any kind of poltical beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    Ya Its Very Nice You Put Happy Independance Day, But What About Canada Day, Arent We Included.

O Right We Dont Matter.
    Hey mate, I'd support you for a Canada Day thread. I'm Canadian at heart. But I'd be more of a Quebecker than a British Coumbian (?).

Charles de Salaberry is a hero! He beat the Americans so many times and put them to shame.

I really like the Montreal flag. Guess why:

ReputationRep:
    Hey mate, I'd support you for a Canada Day thread. I'm Canadian at heart. But I'd be more of a Quebecker than a British Coumbian (?).

Charles de Salaberry is a hero! He beat the Americans so many times and put them to shame.

I really like the Montreal flag. Guess why:
    why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acaila)
    Scottish emigration to Canada was mainly due to the Highland Clearances forcing people off the land in the North. There weren't enough jobs in the central belt, so people emigrated. Not necessarily due to any kind of poltical beliefs.
    No point of taking the violin out. There were many Scottish merchants (maybe more than English merchants) who just went to Canada to make a fortune not because they were poor peasants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    why?
    St George cross

ReputationRep:
    No point of taking the violin out. There were many Scottish merchants (maybe more than English merchants) who just went to Canada to make a fortune not because they were poor peasants.
    Not the majority though.

And I read that as poor pheasants for a minute :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Not the majority though.

And I read that as poor pheasants for a minute :eek:
    Well just like the majority of English people. That's why I said, no point of taking the violin out. I remember being told that a lot of the poor people came from the Hebrids and Orkney Islands.

Peasants, pheasants, they're almost the same thing, they all live in the countryside.

ReputationRep:
    all the poor'uns were dragged out of the slums and sent on their way to Canada - get rid of the problems

ReputationRep:
    St George cross
    oh

ReputationRep:
    Well just like the majority of English people. That's why I said, no point of taking the violin out. I remember being told that a lot of the poor people came from the Hebrids and Orkney Islands.

Peasants, pheasants, they're almost the same thing, they all live in the countryside.
    Not just there. All over the Highlands. In fact I would say it's less likely most came from Orkney, and probably the Hebrides. People were cleared off the land to make way for sheep which landlords wanted because they were more profitable than crofters. This happened in all the major rural areas in the country.

ReputationRep:
    Not just there. All over the Highlands. In fact I would say it's less likely most came from Orkney, and probably the Hebrides. People were cleared off the land to make way for sheep which landlords wanted because they were more profitable than crofters. This happened in all the major rural areas in the country.
    So, is this another way of you saying English people oppressed the Scots? Ever thought that it was more likely rich Scottish people getting rid of poor ones.

And stop complaining, ever heard of Nova Scotia? Bunch of imperialists! You had to name a Canadian province after yourself and as if that wasn' enough, you had to create New Caledonia (actually I know very little about New Caledonia so you shouldn't really pay much attention to that comment )

ReputationRep:
    So, is this another way of you saying English people oppressed the Scots? Ever thought that it was more likely rich Scottish people getting rid of poor ones.

And stop complaining, ever heard of Nova Scotia? Bunch of imperialists! You had to name a Canadian province after yourself and as if that wasn' enough, you had to create New Caledonia (actually I know very little about New Caledonia so you shouldn't really pay much attention to that comment )
    Methinks you just think we're all against you. I said nothing of the sort, so don't put words in my mouth.
    And god knows, no English people ever named a town or state after themselves in America (even if they already had names). :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Methinks you just think we're all against you. I said nothing of the sort, so don't put words in my mouth.
    And god knows, no English people ever named a town or state after themselves in America (even if they already had names). :rolleyes:
    and no Scotsman would ever do such a thing. They're such adorable and peaceful people.

ReputationRep:
    and no Scotsman would ever do such a thing. They're such adorable and peaceful people.
    Indeed we are. That's why the whole world loves us

ReputationRep:
    Indeed we are. That's why the whole world loves us
    Dream on

ReputationRep:
    Oh I forgot that inconsequential place to the South of us
    Easily done, it is a forgettable place

ReputationRep:
    the Scots and the Irish were pains in the colonies, it was partly their anti-Englishness which caused problems,

just look at John Paul Jones - a scot

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.