The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Hi LMH,

I've just finished year 12 and I'm looking to apply to study economics and management at Oxford however straight economics at other universities. This means my personal statement will largely be an economics personal statement. Will this in any way hinder my application and would I be more likely to get in if my personal statement is for E&M and I change the courses I am applying to for at other universities.

Original post by LMH OXFORD
Hi all,

The team here is heading off on holiday - we'll be back on the 30th of August. Refreshed and ready to answer your questions!

Happy holidays :biggrin:

Could you answer the PM I sent while you were on vacation :biggrin:
hey Marrium,
To put this into a bit of contexts,when I arrived in the UK and had to complete my GCSE within one year and due to extenuating circumstances my GCSE results were not up to the mark (8 As and 2 A*) due to my limited experience in British education system.However my A levels results are A*A*A* (Already achieved) and A* AA (predicted) for Mathematics, Economics, Politics and Further Mathematics,History, EPQ respectively. I will be applying for PPE and therefore I wanted to know is my application competitive enough as my GCSEs were pretty average? Lastly I have a decent supercurricular profile will that help my application?
Hi, I want to apply for chemistry. Does it matter (I.e decrease chances) if I drop further Maths leaving 3 a levels? i will be taking biology chemistry and maths to A2.

Thank you.

(but can't wait to start replying to your messages! :biggrin: Please be patient with me while I work through PMs/messages)
Original post by rmtillidie23
Hi, I was interviewed by LMH for Law last year but I didn't get in unfortunately and will be reapplying to oxford again this cycle. Two questions: will I be disadvantaged because I will be considered a mature student and a re-applicant? And two, do the tutors at Oxford, particularly for law find the overseas skype interview significantly less effective than the physical interview? Asking this because I read in a reddit AMA by an Oxford fellow that professors consider skype interviews less effective because the tutors are unable to follow "how we do work on paper" and taht there are "difficulties in interacting with the candidates."A bit of background information, I am a Singaporean male who has to serve 2 years of mandatory military service from 19-20. Thank you!

Hello! Thanks so much for getting in touch :smile:

In answer to your questions:

1) Definitely not at a disadvantage - mature students and re-applicants are treated exactly the same as any applicant. I had loads of friends on my course who weren't successful first time round. You would be well advised to apply to a different college if reapplying, though. And, if you haven't already, I'd also really recommend getting in touch with our admissions office and asking for detailed feedback which will prove useful going ahead.

2) Again, officially speaking you should not be treated differently - whilst I imagine a meeting in person would be more ideal, tutors are aware of geographical barriers and difficulties, and would not offer Skype interviews if they thought them to be less effective. Also placing a link to our Interview tips video here as Oskar (law student) was interviewed via Skype:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45vagKCfHM)

Hope that helps but please do let me know if you have any more questions. And good luck - I will keep my fingers crossed for you! :smile:
Original post by no2573571
Hello, LMH! I'm just about to start year 12. I hope to study French and Italian at university, and thinking of perhaps trying for Oxford. I will be doing History, French, Italian and Economics for A Level.

My GCSEs are:
Eng Lang - A*
Eng Lit - A*
French - A*
Italian - A*
Biology - A*
History - A
Maths - A
Physics - B
Music - B

Do you think I have a chance of being invited for an interview if I work really hard on my personal statement and on my A Level courses?

I know Oxford receive loads of all A* and A applications. I was wondering if my 2Bs would put me at such a significant disadvantage that it wouldn't be worth applying?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Have a lovely day.

Hello! As somebody who also had Bs amongst A*s and As (which were not related to the course I was applying to) - absolutely yes, apply if you would like to! :smile: GCSEs are only one of many factors we consider - I knew many people who didn't have straight As/A*s accross the board. Also @auburnstar is on point as always with the advice. :biggrin:

As you have already pointed out, the personal statement is a fantastic place to stand out. Here are some pointers for the statement:

-Dedicate 80% to your academic interests and motivation, and the other 20% to extra-curricular (make this as relevant to your course or being a student as possible - note that we don't take this into account as we take you on academic merit, but other unis do which is why we say put that 20% in)
-Pursue your subject of interest beyond the school curriculum. Keep an activity log and document books you’ve read outside of school, TED talks you might’ve listened to, podcasts you might’ve tuned into etc. But don’t just list them in that log evaluate them. You read a book, great. How did it set you thinking? How can you critically engage with it? When it comes to applying, use that log as a basis for your personal statement. Your course page on the Oxford website should give some reading suggestions
-Be concise - don't waste space with floating statements or quotes. Evaluate everything and start off by going straight into it with an example of why the subject enthuses you
-This video is really useful in giving a draft structure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17EPnhhHopE

I hope that helps!! :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zarifaxchowdhury
hey Marrium,
To put this into a bit of contexts,when I arrived in the UK and had to complete my GCSE within one year and due to extenuating circumstances my GCSE results were not up to the mark (8 As and 2 A*) due to my limited experience in British education system.However my A levels results are A*A*A* (Already achieved) and A* AA (predicted) for Mathematics, Economics, Politics and Further Mathematics,History, EPQ respectively. I will be applying for PPE and therefore I wanted to know is my application competitive enough as my GCSEs were pretty average? Lastly I have a decent supercurricular profile will that help my application?

Hello there! Please don't downplay your GCSEs - those are fantastic grades, and you should be proud of yourself for achieving them in 1 year under extenuating circumstances, and in a new place. In any case, as I mention above, GCSEs are just one factor, and we will look at many things when considering your application. There is an average amount of A*s that applicants get at GCSEs, yes, but there is a reason it is an average - plenty of people study at Oxford without getting that average. Congratulations, too, on the AS grades you have achieved so far - a really super indicator of your upward educational tranjectory!! :biggrin: Some pointers for you:

-Discuss your reference with your teacher, making sure all mitigating circumstances are highlighted. Keep in mind we use contextualised data to inform our decisions.
-Supercurricular activities are really vital if you want to stand out - again, do have a look at the post above for tips on how to use these in your personal statement :smile:
-If you are able to, do attend an Open Day (this is for all of you!) - these are really valuable, and there are loads of PPE students and tutors around to speak to :smile:
Original post by starwarsjedi
Hi, I want to apply for chemistry. Does it matter (I.e decrease chances) if I drop further Maths leaving 3 a levels? i will be taking biology chemistry and maths to A2.

Thank you.

Hey! Not at all - Chemistry at Oxford requires you to be studying Chemistry and Maths, so you will not be reducing your chances.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Could you answer the PM I sent while you were on vacation :biggrin:

All done :biggrin:
Our next Open Day is fast approaching (15th September)

We have some stunning grounds, 2 pugs, ice cream and a Principal who snapchats - come and see for yourself! :biggrin:

*More info here*

[video="youtube;q7oNFkMdRBA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7oNFkMdRBA[/video]
Our next Open Day is fast approaching (15th September)

We have some stunning grounds, 2 pugs, ice cream and a Principal who snapchats - come and see for yourself! :biggrin:

You can't mention the pugs without providing a picture.... :tongue:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqEKm61WYAAawPe.jpg
Hey there, and welcome to the official Lady Margaret Hall (LMH) 'Ask us anything' thread.

I’m Marrium, the Outreach Officer at LMH (weird job title right? You can read more about it and me here). LMH is one of the 38 independent colleges of the University of Oxford, and it’s my job to encourage students to think about making an application.

So if you'd like to find out more about LMH (here's one way to do that) and what it might be like to study here, please do use this thread, or send me a pm and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Are my GCSE results good enough fora dentistry course at any university.

Maths:A*
English Language:A/7
English Literature:B/6
Geography:A
R.E:A
Biology:A
Chemistry:A
Physics:A
History:B
Further Maths:B
P.E: C

Thank you, (I'm lacking in A*'s, but I was wondering whether I dentistry universities would allow a biology resit as I was very ill for the last two biology exams).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by auburnstar
You can't mention the pugs without providing a picture.... :tongue:

err, you make a very good point :colondollar:

Presenting Hamish and Bonnie:

Untitled.jpg

And, if that's not enough, they even have their own instagram page. You're welcome :colone:

https://www.instagram.com/lmhdogs/
Hi LMH,
If a yr 11 student answered a difficult NMR question and impressed interviewers on a trip could they be granted an offer to oxford?
Hello! As somebody who also had Bs amongst A*s and As (which were not related to the course I was applying to) - absolutely yes, apply if you would like to! :smile: GCSEs are only one of many factors we consider - I knew many people who didn't have straight As/A*s accross the board. Also @auburnstar is on point as always with the advice. :biggrin:

As you have already pointed out, the personal statement is a fantastic place to stand out. Here are some pointers for the statement:

-Dedicate 80% to your academic interests and motivation, and the other 20% to extra-curricular (make this as relevant to your course or being a student as possible - note that we don't take this into account as we take you on academic merit, but other unis do which is why we say put that 20% in)
-Pursue your subject of interest beyond the school curriculum. Keep an activity log and document books you’ve read outside of school, TED talks you might’ve listened to, podcasts you might’ve tuned into etc. But don’t just list them in that log evaluate them. You read a book, great. How did it set you thinking? How can you critically engage with it? When it comes to applying, use that log as a basis for your personal statement. Your course page on the Oxford website should give some reading suggestions
-Be concise - don't waste space with floating statements or quotes. Evaluate everything and start off by going straight into it with an example of why the subject enthuses you
-This video is really useful in giving a draft structure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17EPnhhHopE

I hope that helps!! :smile:

Hello!!! Thanks so much for your lovely and useful reply. It certainly helped a lot. Have a nice day. :smile:
Hi LMH!

How often do 4 grade offers get made to Y13 students apply while doing 4 A Levels? I know it's not the standard offer, but I was wondering whether it's worth keeping 4 or focusing on my best 3, because if I get an offer for 4 I'm worried I might not be able to meet it.

Thanks!
Original post by plklupu
Hi LMH!

How often do 4 grade offers get made to Y13 students apply while doing 4 A Levels? I know it's not the standard offer, but I was wondering whether it's worth keeping 4 or focusing on my best 3, because if I get an offer for 4 I'm worried I might not be able to meet it.

Thanks!

Hello! We only ever give offers on 3 - if you're spreading yourself too thin and are worried about not meeting your offer because you are taking 4, we recommend only pursuing the 3 - hope that helps :smile:
Hey all!

Quick note to say we have just released our new alternative prospectus (yay!!) designed by current students to give you a lowdown on #lmhoxfordlife :biggrin:

Check it out here: http://fliphtml5.com/ooatv/hdhx
Accessible Transcipt here: http://fliphtml5.com/ooatv/pvhl

altp.jpg
(edited 6 years ago)
Hello! We only ever give offers on 3 - if you're spreading yourself too thin and are worried about not meeting your offer because you are taking 4, we recommend only pursuing the 3 - hope that helps :smile:

Cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending