The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ashibo
Please could you tell me whereabouts the GCSEs of 99999988A*A* (with 8s in spanish and eng lit) would place me in the "hierarchy" of PPE applicants for your college (for next years applications)?

Also, how severe of an extenuating circumstance would you consider my mother being schizophrenic and calling the police to our house due to paranoia over 100 times since year 7 be (social services have also been involved many times)? Thanks

Hi there,

I'm afraid this isn't an answer I can provide, not least because competition varies each year, and also because there are many things that we look at when you are applying, not just GCSE grades.

I would definitely speak to your referee about your mitigating circumstances, as this is something we would take note of and use to help inform our decisions.

Hope that helps! :smile:
Original post by SS__
Is there a GCSE cut off for Maths?

I’ve got very poor GCSEs (but a 9 in Maths) and my predictions meet the entry requirements. My reference and personal statement are of good standard according to my school. I’ve been revising for MAT like crazy since I want to do really well to make up for my GCSEs.

So do I stand a chance? (I’ve already applied)

Hi! We have no formal requirements for GCSEs - having an excellent set can help make your application more competitive, but they are not the be all end all, and just one part of a very holistic process. Your predicted grades are more important as they are a formal requirement, as is your performance in the MAT test, so it's fantastic to hear you have been practising for it.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 782
Original post by LMH OXFORD
Hi! We have no formal requirements for GCSEs - having an excellent set can help make your application more competitive, but they are not the be all end all, and just one part of a very holistic process. Your predicted grades are more important as they are a formal requirement, as is your performance in the MAT test, so it's fantastic to hear you have been practising for it.

Good luck! :smile:

That’s really reassuring. I thought my GCSEs will instantly end my application process but I guess I have a little chance. How many Oxford Applicants do you get on average with poor GCSEs (for Maths)? And how many of those get an offer?
Hi, Im an international student looking to apply for PPE, I was wondering if you have ever accepted any applicants through a Skype interview? Would you say you have higher chances of being accepted with an in person interview or a Skype interview, or is it the same?
Hi i saw other people messaging questions so I thought if it is ok I also have a few questions ,

i would say i have a pretty interesting background , i was born in uk and 9 years old went to HK to study for 7 years.During that time i went from the last in my year to the 3rd , 2nd in my class by the end of year 6 , i went on to secondary school and ended up getting 3rd in my whole year for 2 consecutive years until i moved back to the uk to do my gcses which i got five 9s and three 8s along with 2 A*s and one A

In HK i won an award : “Good Students & Teachers” Annual Award
where only 10 students in the country receive it per year , would this make me more competitive ? (https://www.hkptu.org/ptunews/43357)

I just started year 12 and during gcse i realised i really like business, i chose economics in a level because it sounded even more interesting. I also really really want to get into Oxford's economics and management but only 7% of the people who apply are successful, that is even lower than so many other degrees!!! I am worried but I really want to try. I was wondering if you could give me advice on what I can do to increase my chances , I will admit I havent been reading during gcses because i was focusing on study, but i will definitely read everyday starting from now. I will focus on economic books ( currently reading doughnut economics which is really good ) Other than that I don't know what else I can do. i don't have work experience and i cant find any but will keep searching. I don't take politics which i kind of regret because it does link to economics
Oh and I forgot to mention that I also read daily news along with reading , but i guess every a level student is doing that,

my a level subjects are : maths , further maths , economics , psychology

Also could you give me advice on how to approach reading, e.g how to think critically about the book and think more deeply about the subject

Sorry this message was very long !
Original post by hp4300
Hi LMH
I'm just wondering how are you going to treat a 9 vs an 8, I've read that they're equal, is this true? If so would seven nines (all 3 sciences, maths, history, computer science, RS) and three eights (English lit, lang, french) be okay for law. Also what work experience would you recommend, would a local magistrates court be fine or does it have to be a city firm?

bump
Original post by ashibo
bump

Why are you bumping somebody else's post? And yes Oxford have confirmed 8s and 9s are both treated as A*.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications?wssl=1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi when is the college sending out invites/rejections for interviews please?
Hi, I am a home applicant. And have studied for a while at state school. I have never attended private school. Both my parents are unemployed. My father is self emloyed but earns around nothing and lives off of borrowing money from others. I have been self studying for most of my life as I could not live a certain location for a long time due to relationship and financial issues.

Am I eligible to apply?

@LMH OXFORD pls reply

Thanks
Original post by saboor 123
Hi, I am a home applicant. And have studied for a while at state school. I have never attended private school. Both my parents are unemployed. My father is self emloyed but earns around nothing and lives off of borrowing money from others. I have been self studying for most of my life as I could not live a certain location for a long time due to relationship and financial issues.

Am I eligible to apply?

@LMH OXFORD pls reply

Do you meet, or are predicted to meet, the entry requirements for your chosen course?
Original post by RogerOxon
Do you meet, or are predicted to meet, the entry requirements for your chosen course?

Yes. I am predicted to exceed their entry requirements.
Yes. I am predicted to exceed their entry requirements.

What is your concern about eligibility?

They want a student who has studied in a state school for all his or her life. i have studied in a state school but I for most of my life I have been self studying?

So am I eligible?
They want a student who has studied in a state school for all his or her life. i have studied in a state school but I for most of my life I have been self studying?

So am I eligible?

Yes, you're eligible, with some assumptions, e.g. number of years of study. Oxford cares about academic ability and potential, not where you studied, although some allowance may be made for some circumstances. LMH may have more to say when they're back.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yes. Oxford cares about academic ability and potential, not where you studied, although some allowance may be made for some circumstances. LMH may have more to say when they're back.

Thank you very much, you made my day!

They are also currently 14yo, and have been rejected from a standard entry (ie not foundation) application to Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Doonesbury
They are also currently 14yo, and have been rejected from a standard entry (ie not foundation) application to Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean?
What do you mean?

Your age / maturity is a factor. There's no specific minimum age (except for Medicine) but they will expect an underage applicant to have the necessary maturity for their course and student living.
Original post by Doonesbury
Your age / maturity is a factor. There's no specific minimum age (except for Medicine) but they will expect an underage applicant to have the necessary maturity for their course and student living.

Hmm. But what about the self studying thing. They want people who hage been to a state school for all theur life. Will that affect my application??
What do you mean?

Also, does your household have a total income below approx £43k and are you from an under-represented socio-economic group? The LMH site gives you all the necessary criteria.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending