Rajive
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What did you get at GCSE in that Language/those languages?
How has it differed from what GCSE?
Do you enjoy it and would you reccomend it?
Rajive
Rep:
?
Bump
roarchika
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rajive)
What did you get at GCSE in that Language/those languages?
How has it differed from what GCSE?
Do you enjoy it and would you reccomend it?
Hiya! I'm doing Latin and Japanese at A Level. I got an A* at Latin GCSE, but Latin's a bit different from modern languages because there's a heavy focus on literature right from the start. Latin at AS is just more vocab, more grammar, and more literature, but apparently at A2 there's a bit of a jump in terms of difficulty.
With Japanese, I'm sitting the GCSE this year and the full A Level next year, though I'm preparing for the A Level right now. There, there is a big jump in the amount of work needed: GCSE seems like a beginner's class, in comparison. You're also expected to start learning about Japanese culture - I actually really love this, and I find it really interesting.

I absolutely adore doing two languages at A Level, but it's a heck of a lot of work. The upside of this is that people are always super impressed when you tell them (as are universities), and that at A Level you really start to be able to use the language 'out in the wild' - or on the internet, which you can't really do at GCSE. If you're passionate about languages or a language in particular, and don't mind dedicating at least 15 mins of vocab revision every day to it, I'd say definitely do a language at A Level: it's so, so rewarding.
Rajive
Rep:
?
(Original post by roarchika)
Hiya! I'm doing Latin and Japanese at A Level. I got an A* at Latin GCSE, but Latin's a bit different from modern languages because there's a heavy focus on literature right from the start. Latin at AS is just more vocab, more grammar, and more literature, but apparently at A2 there's a bit of a jump in terms of difficulty.
With Japanese, I'm sitting the GCSE this year and the full A Level next year, though I'm preparing for the A Level right now. There, there is a big jump in the amount of work needed: GCSE seems like a beginner's class, in comparison. You're also expected to start learning about Japanese culture - I actually really love this, and I find it really interesting.

I absolutely adore doing two languages at A Level, but it's a heck of a lot of work. The upside of this is that people are always super impressed when you tell them (as are universities), and that at A Level you really start to be able to use the language 'out in the wild' - or on the internet, which you can't really do at GCSE. If you're passionate about languages or a language in particular, and don't mind dedicating at least 15 mins of vocab revision every day to it, I'd say definitely do a language at A Level: it's so, so rewarding.
Thanks for your reply.
Rajive
Rep:
?
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (41)
5.71%
Uncertainty around my education (83)
11.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (76)
10.58%
Lack of purpose or motivation (92)
12.81%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (38)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.71%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (77)
10.72%
Financial worries (47)
6.55%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (31)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (43)
5.99%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.34%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (69)
9.61%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (56)
7.8%

Watched Threads