Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hiya,
    so my 18th bday is fast approaching but i'm a bit unsure of what music to put on the playlist. Thing is, all my friends listen to pop/RnB/dance stuff I don't really like and none of them are into the same genres as me. I like rock/indie/alt but if I play that it wouldn't surprise me if no one knew it (even if they're quite well-known songs)!. I will obviously play what other people want but I don't know where to start as I don't listen to popular stuff!

ReputationRep:
    REO Speedwagon, Bryan Adams, Rolling Stones, anything in the vein of those bands really. They're rock, but they're chill-out rock. Not quite pop-rock (aside from REOs later releases), but they make for awesome background music. After a while everyone will be too pissed to care about the music anyway.

Or, if my experience of parties is anything to go by, people will nick your laptop and put whatever they want on on Youtube anyway.

Avoid funeral doom though. For some reason, Elysian Blaze go down really terribly at parties. I can't imagine why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    REO Speedwagon, Bryan Adams, Rolling Stones, anything in the vein of those bands really. They're rock, but they're chill-out rock. Not quite pop-rock (aside from REOs later releases), but they make for awesome background music. After a while everyone will be too pissed to care about the music anyway.

Or, if my experience of parties is anything to go by, people will nick your laptop and put whatever they want on on Youtube anyway.

Avoid funeral doom though. For some reason, Elysian Blaze go down really terribly at parties. I can't imagine why.
    hahah, they're all really good suggestions! I was also thinking maybe a bit of led zeppelin but maybe a bit too heavy lol. i'll make sure everyone gets drunk so that I can put whatever on and they wont care

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.