Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

French student looking for a PG course in the UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everbody, I am currently studying to get a BA in History in France (une licence d'Histoire) and after that I would like to study Public History and Heritage in the UK (to work in museums and other organisations in the future..)
    My question is: What's the difference between a MA, a PGDip and a PGCert, and what's better for me ?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manondessources)
    Hello everbody, I am currently studying to get a BA in History in France (une licence d'Histoire) and after that I would like to study Public History and Heritage in the UK (to work in museums and other organisations in the future..)
    My question is: What's the difference between a MA, a PGDip and a PGCert, and what's better for me ?
    Thanks
    They each have a different number of credits. An MA has the most at 180 and usually includes a dissertation, an extended independent research project, it normally runs for around 12 months. A PGDip is 120 credits- usually its just the taught course part of the MA- the bit where you go to lectures and seminars, without the dissertation. Then a PGCert is even fewer credits.

If you are going to go for a Masters you might as well do the full thing subject to having the required grades, certainly in the UK PGDip and PGCerts aren't widely recognised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    They each have a different number of credits. An MA has the most at 180 and usually includes a dissertation, an extended independent research project, it normally runs for around 12 months. A PGDip is 120 credits- usually its just the taught course part of the MA- the bit where you go to lectures and seminars, without the dissertation. Then a PGCert is even fewer credits.

If you are going to go for a Masters you might as well do the full thing subject to having the required grades, certainly in the UK PGDip and PGCerts aren't widely recognised.
    Thanks for these informations, and do you know if there is any difference to find a work after these different qualifications ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manondessources)
    Thanks for these informations, and do you know if there is any difference to find a work after these different qualifications ?
    Afraid I don't know that sector well enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    Afraid I don't know that sector well enough
    Don't worry, you gave me a lot of informations, thanks for this!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 23, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.