The Student Room Group

maths

I am struggling in science, well i understand the topics but it is the exam questions that i don't not understand. Do you know any websites or things that can help me feel confident with exam questions? predominately in maths and science.(need advice for B and A* students, how do you do it?)
Reply 1
Original post by liko0987654
I am struggling in science, well i understand the topics but it is the exam questions that i don't not understand. Do you know any websites or things that can help me feel confident with exam questions? predominately in maths and science.(need advice for B and A* students, how do you do it?)

Hiya :smile: This is only really relevant if you've been given access to method maths by your school, but if you have - use it like crazy! It's just so much past paper practice and it's marked automatically, so you get feedback straight away and can identify which areas you can't do and work on them.

For science, I'd say that the best option for exam question practice specifically is to do the past papers to the best of your ability, then go through the paper afterwards alongside the markscheme. If you get something right, highlight the specific segment of your answer that got you the mark in green. If you get something explicitly wrong (e.g. it says 'ignore stops' and you put 'stops' in your answer), highlight it in red (or pink). Then copy out the correct answer for the questions you got wrong and highlight them in another colour.

That's what I've been doing, and you find that as you progress along the exam papers you get a higher and higher mark because you can remember exactly what words they're looking for with each type of question. For example, the menstrual cycle for AQA B1 usually requires the word 'inhibits' as opposed to 'stops'; simply knowing that from doing the past papers could save you one mark.

I hope that helps a bit; I don't know any specific websites for science practice like I do method maths, but past papers are really useful. :smile:
Reply 2
thank you
Original post by CaptErin
Hiya :smile: This is only really relevant if you've been given access to method maths by your school, but if you have - use it like crazy! It's just so much past paper practice and it's marked automatically, so you get feedback straight away and can identify which areas you can't do and work on them.

For science, I'd say that the best option for exam question practice specifically is to do the past papers to the best of your ability, then go through the paper afterwards alongside the markscheme. If you get something right, highlight the specific segment of your answer that got you the mark in green. If you get something explicitly wrong (e.g. it says 'ignore stops' and you put 'stops' in your answer), highlight it in red (or pink). Then copy out the correct answer for the questions you got wrong and highlight them in another colour.

That's what I've been doing, and you find that as you progress along the exam papers you get a higher and higher mark because you can remember exactly what words they're looking for with each type of question. For example, the menstrual cycle for AQA B1 usually requires the word 'inhibits' as opposed to 'stops'; simply knowing that from doing the past papers could save you one mark.

I hope that helps a bit; I don't know any specific websites for science practice like I do method maths, but past papers are really useful. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest