Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

My company have recently announced that they're going to make people redundant. I know as an apprentice I'm safe, but I don't want to work for a company where a future isn't secure - for myself of the company.

I have two questions. As an apprentice, I signed a twelve month contract, but it's for a small company so it was abit ******** if I'm honest. Can I leave before the twelve months is up?

Also, if I did move to a different company, I wish to continue doing an apprenticeship as I do actually enjoy it. Companies can only pay an apprenticeship wage for the first year, then must pay at least the national minimum wage for your age group. If I do move, will this 'reset', and the new company able to pay me the apprenticeship wage again, or what, how does this work. I've googled and can't find any answers.

Please help.

Thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Endors Toi)
    Hi all,

My company have recently announced that they're going to make people redundant. I know as an apprentice I'm safe, but I don't want to work for a company where a future isn't secure - for myself of the company.

I have two questions. As an apprentice, I signed a twelve month contract, but it's for a small company so it was abit ******** if I'm honest. Can I leave before the twelve months is up?

Also, if I did move to a different company, I wish to continue doing an apprenticeship as I do actually enjoy it. Companies can only pay an apprenticeship wage for the first year, then must pay at least the national minimum wage for your age group. If I do move, will this 'reset', and the new company able to pay me the apprenticeship wage again, or what, how does this work. I've googled and can't find any answers.

Please help.

Thanks,

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Does your contract mention a notice period? As far as i m aware it will reset if you move to a different company.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see any reason why they would need to pay you more than apprentice wage, but you may be able to continue your studies so you finish the qualifications quicker. I don't see why you'd necessarily need to restart your apprenticeship, but I doubt they'd want to pay you more than they had to. Might be worth sticking out the year then leaving as qualified (could probably negotiate a better salary that way too)

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.