Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How much do universities care about work experience? I want to study history and I've always been told I need work experience to impress universities but I can't find anywhere interesting that I would want to do and (I know it sounds stupid) I'm quite shy in approaching people to ask for it.

I'm definitely really interested in the subject, am I stressing about this too much or do I really need to get over it and try and get some work experience before it's too late.

I'm in year 12 btw

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they'll care about work experience for history
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by StressedCoffee)
    How much do universities care about work experience? I want to study history and I've always been told I need work experience to impress universities but I can't find anywhere interesting that I would want to do and (I know it sounds stupid) I'm quite shy in approaching people to ask for it.

I'm definitely really interested in the subject, am I stressing about this too much or do I really need to get over it and try and get some work experience before it's too late.

I'm in year 12 btw
    For a subject like history, for most universities i wouldnt worry too much about needing work experience. Reading related to the subject should be sufficient for your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    For a subject like history, for most universities i wouldnt worry too much about needing work experience. Reading related to the subject should be sufficient for your personal statement.
    what do you think about chemistry?

more precisely chemical engineering

ReputationRep:

I'm in year 12 btw
    Not that much. I know someone who has an offer from Merton College at Oxford for History, and they don't have any relevant work experience.

I got offers from 3 RG's without relevant work experience, and 5 offers overall so...
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jassy16)
    what do you think about chemistry?

more precisely chemical engineering
    I dont think work experience would be necessary.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Work experience is only expected for a few courses (notably medicine).

Definitely not for History or Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I'm in year 12 btw
    Omg. They wont even look at the employment section on your application form, you are applying for history, a very academic subject, you need to write an academic personal statement (and the required grades ofc), for which you dont need any sort of work experience. It makes no difference at all, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry too much about the work experience section. I'd say for a degree such as History, they'll be focusing on your academics. So, make sure to write out all your qualifications and plan out a personal statement, as that will be what impresses a university for this particular course.

Best of luck!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Not expected for history and you would be better off being better read to show to explain what interests you about studying history.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you, I haven't been able to find anything although I'm volunteering at a local museum for a week in the summer but thats it!

ReputationRep:

I'm in year 12 btw
    For university no you don't need work experience. Just do some wider reading. However when it comes to getting a job then work experience is crucial, however a university careers centre can help you think of places to apply for & hopefully help you to be more confident applying.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.