Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm really struggling to get the answer with these boundary locus methods. If anyone could help that would be great. The linear multistep method is

y[n+2] - 4/3 y[n+1] +1/3 y[n] = 2/3 hf[n+2]

I get the stability polynomial to be,

pi(r,h) = r^2 - 4/3 r + 1/3 - 2/3 hr^2

Then sub in r=e^(i*theta) and set the stability polynomial = 0, then find the endpoints of the interval such that Im(h(theta)) = 0 and end up with

theta = 0 and theta = 9

However after this I get really stuck, the answer is

h is a member of (-infinity, 0) union (4, infinity)

and I can't work out how to get the 4 at all.

Thanks again for any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue7195)
    I get the stability polynomial to be,

pi(r,h) = r^2 - 4/3 r + 1/3 - 2/3 hr^2

Then sub in r=e^(i*theta) and set the stability polynomial = 0, then find the endpoints of the interval such that Im(h(theta)) = 0 and end up with

theta = 0 and theta = 9
    This really isn't my area - it looks like stability theory for linear multistep methods for the numerical solution of differential equations - but perhaps we can have a go if you tell us a bit more.

I thought that the idea of the boundary locus method was that you attempt to find roots of the stability polynomial that are of absolute value equal to one (and hence the substitution of r=e^(i*theta)). But then you are looking for values of theta that are in [0, 2*Pi] aren't you? Where does the value 9 come from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    This really isn't my area - it looks like stability theory for linear multistep methods for the numerical solution of differential equations - but perhaps we can have a go if you tell us a bit more.

I thought that the idea of the boundary locus method was that you attempt to find roots of the stability polynomial that are of absolute value equal to one (and hence the substitution of r=e^(i*theta)). But then you are looking for values of theta that are in [0, 2*Pi] aren't you? Where does the value 9 come from?
    I was solving the imaginary part of h(theta) = 0, got the values sin(theta) = 0 and cos(theta) = 2/3 and subbed these back in to h(theta). But I really am clueless with how to do these questions so that may be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue7195)
    I was solving the imaginary part of h(theta) = 0, got the values sin(theta) = 0 and cos(theta) = 2/3 and subbed these back in to h(theta). But I really am clueless with how to do these questions so that may be wrong.
    I'm puzzled as to what you are doing - any chance of a few more details? If I take

\displaymode \pi(r,h) = (1 - 2h/3) r^2 -(4/3) r + 1/3

and substitute in  r = e^{i \theta} to get g(\theta, h) and then solve this equal to zero, then I get roots for \theta that are functions of h - not the other way around - so I'm not sure what Im(h(theta))=0 means!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    I'm puzzled as to what you are doing - any chance of a few more details? If I take

\displaymode \pi(r,h) = (1 - 2h/3) r^2 -(4/3) r + 1/3

and substitute in  r = e^{i \theta} to get g(\theta, h) and then solve this equal to zero, then I get roots for \theta that are functions of h - not the other way around - so I'm not sure what Im(h(theta))=0 means!
    Im not really too sure of the method either, I'm following a lecture example. In the example they rearrange to get h(theta) in terms of cos(theta) and sin(theta). Then, they say they want the interval of absolute stability which are the endpoints of this interval at the points such that Im(h(theta)) = 0, where the region intersects the real axis. The solves to find theta then substitutes back into h(theta) to find it!
    I understood it at the time but when I try questions like this one it doesn't give me the right answer... Thanks for all your help btw!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.