Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    'Once a cheater, always a cheater', what do you think?

Reason I ask - I openly admit that I've cheated on my ex in the past. We were together for two years and I cheated on her for 4 months before coming clean and breaking up. I'm not proud of what I did, in fact I'm ashamed now! I have no reason for why I did it other than being young and wanting to have as much fun as possible.
    I always admit to dates/potential future partners that I cheated on one of my ex's and generally their response is really positive (they thank me for being honest etc).
    I've been in various relationships (long and short) since I cheated on my ex and I've never felt the need or urge to cheat again. I've definitely learnt my lesson.

I'm just interested to see what people think about this? Whether you'd ever date someone who has admitted to cheating or you know to have cheated in the past? Would it bother you?

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily.

ReputationRep:
    I'd still date them. I would however be a bit more cautious before things got serious as I'd be less likely to trust them in the initial stages.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it would bother me, cheating is usually indicative of your personality and morals.
    Id have no intention of putting myself through that scenario again.

ReputationRep:
    Does a thief continue to keep stealing?
    It depends, if you recieved adequate punishment. You lossed your gf.. so, yes!

Are you sorry for what you done?
    I assume you are.

All in all
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Once a cheater always a dickridingmothersuckinglip****in gcheater

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I truly believe a cheat is always a cheat.

Like someone said above, it really speaks for you as a person. You could have chosen to have broken up with that person if you wanted to go out and have fun with other people but you didn't. Who's to say that in the future you might feel tied down again and want to do the same thing?

It's good that you tell the other party about your cheating in the past though, so props to you for that. But me, personally, I couldn't date a cheater.

ReputationRep:
    I killed someone, but i told their parents...

Am i still a murderer?

ReputationRep:
    I like honesty but I wouldn't want to know.

One of my exes was honest with me about her past and I knew from the start it would never work. It's the past, it's over, don't mention it AND don't do it again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stk1010)
    'Once a cheater, always a cheater', what do you think?

Reason I ask - I openly admit that I've cheated on my ex in the past. We were together for two years and I cheated on her for 4 months before coming clean and breaking up. I'm not proud of what I did, in fact I'm ashamed now! I have no reason for why I did it other than being young and wanting to have as much fun as possible.
    I always admit to dates/potential future partners that I cheated on one of my ex's and generally their response is really positive (they thank me for being honest etc).
    I've been in various relationships (long and short) since I cheated on my ex and I've never felt the need or urge to cheat again. I've definitely learnt my lesson.

I'm just interested to see what people think about this? Whether you'd ever date someone who has admitted to cheating or you know to have cheated in the past? Would it bother you?
    Anyone has the capacity to change, once you've cheated you're just more likely to cheat again

ReputationRep:
    Definitely....I think so...I have never cheated on someone, but I know what it feels like-and for me it was really horrible, kind of like I wasn't enough, like I didn't have the capability of keeping my man....I dont know if that makes sense, but uh I have once taken back a guy for cheating on me, but then I felt like I would constantly be suspicious of him. Like if I saw him with another female, I would automatically think yup he wants to cheat on me. I guess that after it has happened once, those kind of thoughts just dont leave. And I had to be honest and break up with him, but I think that once you sin or commit a crime there is no going back. No matter how much you try.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly true

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    Always a cheater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastMinReviseGuy)
    Does a thief continue to keep stealing?
    It depends, if you recieved adequate punishment. You lossed your gf.. so, yes!

Are you sorry for what you done?
    I assume you are.

All in all
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Once a cheater always a dickridingmothersuckinglip****in gcheater
    The ironic thing about my particular circumstances is that I chose to end the relationship. My girlfriend was willing to forgive me and continue. She didn't catch me out, I came clean and told her I wanted to end it because it wasn't fair on her and I didn't feel like I deserved her. So arguably, I wasn't punished at all because I actually got it my way.

I'm sorry for the fact I hurt and upset another person! (Actually two people really because I called it off with the girl I was cheating with when I came clean too). But, at the time I was just having fun and didn't think much of it.

It's worth noting that, at the time I was 18 years old and incredibly immature in regards to girls and relationships. I'm now in my early twenties and my whole attitude towards relationships have changed. When I was younger I was experimenting, very sexually active and if I'm being honest was mainly interested in no strings attached kind of relationships. I think the only reason I stayed with my girlfriend at the time for so long was because that's what she wanted too.
    Now I'm older I'm actually interested in a deep and meaningful relationship. I've 'had my fun' so to speak. Surely, in this respect, cheaters can change?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.