Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For example how many paragraphs would you write for each of the following questions and what on eg language techniques?
    Example:
    Short Stories:
    A) Write about the ways Lively presents an unpleasant experience in the darkness out there,
    B) Write about how the write presents an unpleasant experience in one other story from sunlight on the grass.
    SECTION B
    A) How does Steinbeck present the character of Curleys Wife?
    B) How do other characters treat Curleys wife in the novel and what does this say about attitudes towards women at this time.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student2232)
    For example how many paragraphs would you write for each of the following questions and what on eg language techniques?
    Example:
    Short Stories:
    A) Write about the ways Lively presents an unpleasant experience in the darkness out there,
    B) Write about how the write presents an unpleasant experience in one other story from sunlight on the grass.
    SECTION B
    A) How does Steinbeck present the character of Curleys Wife?
    B) How do other characters treat Curleys wife in the novel and what does this say about attitudes towards women at this time.

Thank you
    Hiya :)
    I didn't study The Darkness Out There so I can't help with that, but for Section B the rule of thumb is to do 3-5 paragraphs, but remember that quality is far more important than quanitity.

For the first question, I would think about the impression the reader gets of Curley's Wife, because that is how Steinbeck has presented her. For example, Steinbeck presents her as a flirt ('she's a tart'), a possession ('Curley's Wife'), lonely (through her constant requests for attention), and as discontent with her life (dreamt of being a movie star, is stuck with Curley who is abusive towards her).

Then, I would write a short introduction - only 2-3 lines long - using the language of the question to introduce my thoughts. For example, 'Steinbeck presents Curley's Wife in a variety of ways throughout the novel and, as the only major female character residing on the ranch, Steinbeck also uses her actions and the actions of others towards her to pass a wider comment on gender roles in the 1930's.' I haven't really said anything insightful - I've basically just re-iterated the two questions - but it will likely stand out from other 'I will talk to you today about...' style introductions and shows that you have recognised what the question is asking of you, not what you want the question to ask of you.

Then my teacher taught us to follow 'PEECKLE' for each paragraph. This is 'Point', 'Evidence', 'Explain', 'Context', 'Key Word', 'Language Feature', 'Effect'. It's hard to answer the first question without the passage, but for the second: 'Firstly, Steinbeck implies that Curley's Wife is a possession and, by extension, suggests that all women of the time were primarily valued in relation to their husband. This can be seen through Curley's crude description of Curley's Wife throughout the novel, but is perhaps most notable through the repeated referral to her as nothing more than 'Curley's Wife' by every other character in the novella. This use of passive tone and possessive language suggests that Curley's Wife belongs to Curley because even her most basic identifying feature is related to him, which reflects the sexist, derogatory view of women held by most members of 1930's America. Additionally, Steinbeck cleverly implies that even Crooks - the black stableboy - is considered more valued than Curley's Wife, despite the deepset racial discrimination occurring in America at the time, because even he is given a name, regardless of its cruel backstory. As a result, Steinbeck ensures the audience responds with sympathy towards Curley's Wife, whose treatment would be considered unacceptable in modern society, because she is given less chance to achieve her American Dream of being an actress than even the male ranch workers who are valued higher than her purely based on their gender.'

In this paragraph,
    P: 'Curley's Wife is a possession'
    E: ''Curley's Wife''
    E: 'even her most basic identifying feature is related to him'
    C: 'derogatory view of women held by...1930's America'
    K: 'sexist', '1930's America', 'racial discrimination', 'American Dream'
    L: 'passive tone', 'possessive language'
    E: 'audience responds with sympathy'
    Those are the parts that will get you the marks, but the rest bulks it out and shows the examiner you know what you're talking about. Aim to include some analysis of structure because this is harder to do so automatically gains you marks. It is also worth linking back to the question at the end of the paragraph both to keep the core question clear in your mind and to ensure the paragraph remains on topic.

Repeat that structure for the other 2-4 points, then end with a basic conclusion that links back to the question again. For example, 'To conclude, Steinbeck uses a variety of language and structural features - including metaphor, passive tone and possessive language - to present Curley's Wife as a possession, flirty and, ultimately, just as lonely as any of the ranch workers throughout the passage and the novel as a whole. In doing so, Steinbeck also comments on wider society through the actions of other characters, implying that women are seen as inferior, only valued in the context of men and sex objects.' Obviously I haven't commented on all of them in that paragraph, but I'm assuming those would be the sort of points you'd go down when answering the rest of the question:)

Sorry that wasn't the best paragraph - I need a sleep! - and that I couldn't help with the first section, but I hope that helps in some way with the second part? If there's anything you think I could do to help please say and I'll try!:) Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.