Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to eat/ when to eat protein again after stomach flu? watch

So I've been vomiting, fever etc since Tuesday

Tuesday I was vomming eating just crackers and toast

Weds I ate crackers and toast and thought by the evening I felt a lot better and since I kept that down tried cheese on toast, subsequently vomited.

Thursday I tried to have some smoothie in the morning felt a lot worse it was a big mistake. Even eating plain potato was making me sick in the eveing.

Friday (today) I felt awful in the morning, and vomited again. But took some actimel at the suggestion of my housemate. Kept it down and felt so, so much better by the evening, and wanted to get on with dissertation (it's due in next week). Had a banana and was fine. Then I tried one chocolate bourbon with only mild nausea (I really miss chocolate I usually eat something chocolately everyday) but obviously not up to normal food still.

I really can't risk making myself worse because I was have my dissertation to write - I can't get extension otherwise I can't graduate this summer. But feel like I can't just eat toast etc for a week cause it's not nutritionally complete? Especially protein wise :/

People can skip to this:

But what is the next step up from toast actimel and banana's?
    Any suggestions how I build back to normal food?

ReputationRep:
    Dude. Stop right there. Anything with high sulphur content is terrible. You have to unfortunately stick to small things, I'd say avoid dairy and bananas. Drink lots of water to help flush it out. Chocolate is a no no, stop eating it. Just wait till it's completely gone, don't risk eating too much food. Keep it basic, toast and a bit of jam. Fruits, soup. This kinda food helps me when I'm sick. Also see a doctor!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Try Low Biological Value protein's before going for High Biological Protein's.

Your body will then slowly get back to normal.

ReputationRep:
    Just **** to your hearts content, drink a lot of water. Don't eat anything.

Works every time, i get rid of all stomach problems this way, you will feel so weak because of the lack of energy in your body.
    Loose around 5 kg everytime i'm ill.

(Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    Try Low Biological Value protein's before going for High Biological Protein's.

Your body will then slowly get back to normal.
    sorry what are those?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    sorry what are those?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...protein-foods/

Get eating these.

Avoid meats as these are High Biological Value.

(Original post by Unorganisedaf)
    Dude. Stop right there. Anything with high sulphur content is terrible. You have to unfortunately stick to small things, I'd say avoid dairy and bananas. Drink lots of water to help flush it out. Chocolate is a no no, stop eating it. Just wait till it's completely gone, don't risk eating too much food. Keep it basic, toast and a bit of jam. Fruits, soup. This kinda food helps me when I'm sick. Also see a doctor!!!!
    Really last time I had something like this the BRAT diet was recommended at first 48 hours and the b stands for bananas! The trouble is they don't tell you what to eat when you can tolerate that but still can't tolerate everything. Or is it, stick to that till you feel better?

(Original post by 2016_GCSE)
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/37...protein-foods/

Get eating these.

Avoid meats as these are High Biological Value.
    Thank you! and yay I really like peanuts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Really last time I had something like this the BRAT diet was recommended at first 48 hours and the b stands for bananas! The trouble is they don't tell you what to eat when you can tolerate that but still can't tolerate everything. Or is it, stick to that till you feel better?
    The bottom line is just don't eat crap lol. You eat what your stomach can tolerate until you're better, otherwise you'll just stay vomiting up your food. i'd recommend seeing a pharmacist actually, where I work my pharmacists are so much better than doctors in terms of giving useful tips and knowledge on that kind of stuff. GP's would say "fluids, electrolytes" that's it, but I would see them to rule things out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.