Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how difficult is it to achieve straight A stars at GCSE? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Honest answers please
    I am approaching the end of year ten and have found GCSEs to be long and tiring aha!
    However, I think I am quite academically able - I mean I go to the second best school in the country. But that doesn't really mean anything tbh.
    But realistically how hard is it to achieve straight A* grades at GCSE?

Also if anyone did manage to achieve straight A stars, please could you outline how you revised for them/ how long you spent revising for them?

Thank-youu

ReputationRep:
    If you have a good study plan and stick to it, you'll be fine. I mean I initially took GCSEs as a joke and started working my socks off 2 months before the exams. I got 9 A*s and 4 As but I know that if I was motivated right from the beginning (like you), I would've been possibly able to get the straight A*s.
    But yeah good luck! You sound like you'll do great.

ReputationRep:
    Thats amazing tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same in year 10 got my last physics exam coming up on Wednesday AQA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Were I to actually have bothered doing plenty of work at GCSE's I could've probably got a bunch of A*s. But I didn't really care so yknow, got a load of Bs...

You can get Bs almost entirely from night before revision if you're academically able and have a decent revision guide lying about somewhere, so I'd imagine an A* takes less than one would think.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    How "easy" it is depends on the individual. Generally speaking hard work will stand you in good stead

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, GCSE's don't really amount to much. Just get mainly A's and B's in them (which doesn't require much effort), and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the person. Most of my friends got straight 10 A*'s, and they did it pretty easily. I only got 4 A*'s and 6 A's and struggled getting that, regardless of the fact that I probably revised more than some of those friends.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if you tend to do well academically just revising a couple of months before the exam for everything should do the trick (by some margin). To be honest to just nab the a* it doesn't take much. I got 7A*s 2As so pretty mediocre by TSR standards but my A*s were very high, implying that less work than the amount I did was needed to just get the grade, and I did almost no work in the A subjects. Most revision was done a few days to a couple weeks before the exam for most subjects. A couple science exams I revised quite early for.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do a second of revision. I just turned up for lessons and turned up for the exams. I got 5 A*s and 6 As and a B (French :yucky:). My grades were considered good for my school as well. I was in the top 10 in my year of about 230. If you go to a good school and you are academically able, it should be a walk in the park - easy mode. Don't forget, GCSEs are designed for the average yr 11 i.e. the academically and intellectually inept.

ReputationRep:
    "Everyone is different but everyone is able"

Honestly, I got a couple A stars but see that certain subjects are genuinely harder than others and certain subjects you will like more than others so you will work more for.

Nonetheless, if you work smart, you can easily get straight A*s so don't worry.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it depends on your subjects. Most people (that I know anyway) find it very hard to get A*s in coursework heavy and creative subjects like Art.

ReputationRep:
    When I was doing my GCSEs I thought it was impossible.
    Now (19) if I was to do my GSCEs again I could gets A* everywhere

ReputationRep:
    Advice, don't leave revision last minute, (1 month before the exams).
    Just revise 1-2 hours each day from the start of year 11 and i guarantee you won't stress.
    Don't make the mistake, because later on you'll regret that you wasted time.

Second tip: Don't let other people's dogma ruin your life. Be original and do what you want.
    All the best. I'm currently at the start of my exam season and i'm kicking myself.

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you everyone for all of your responses, I really appreciate them well done for all of the grades that you achieved

ReputationRep:
    Second best school in the country? What's it called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by user123445)
    Second best school in the country? What's it called?
    not sharing my school name on here aha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you reckon you'll get straight A*s?

ReputationRep:
    You will never know until you get your results because easy is subjective

ReputationRep:
    With the old GCSEs, it was no hard effort to get straight A*s. With the new ones (I heard they're much much harder), I would guess you'd need to really work hard in year 11, as long as you stay on top of the workload throughout the whole year, getting the top grades should not be a massive challenge. GCSE grades can matter depending on what you want to do for uni, especially if it's stuff like medicine/dentistry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.