Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have had 4 years of funding despite never actually achieving a degree (moving courses plus health problems) so student finance say I am not eligible for funding under previous study rules. I have read something the other day that suggests that the rules for previous study might change for STEM subjects from 2017 and would maybe allow a second loan.

Does anyone know if this is the case? I don't want to go back this year and self fund if it then becomes eligible for a loan next year!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Andy13)
    I have had 4 years of funding despite never actually achieving a degree (moving courses plus health problems) so student finance say I am not eligible for funding under previous study rules. I have read something the other day that suggests that the rules for previous study might change for STEM subjects from 2017 and would maybe allow a second loan.

Does anyone know if this is the case? I don't want to go back this year and self fund if it then becomes eligible for a loan next year!
    The change for STEM subjects isn't that previous study will be ignored but that disqualification for having a qualification at the same level will be ignored - at present if you have a degree already then you don't get funding for either a tuition loan or a maintenance loan. This is already the case for part time study and the plan was that it would be extended for full time but the new government have gone quiet about that so it looks unlikely to happen for 2017.

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/...evious-studies explains the rules. If you have had 4 years of funding then unless you can prove compelling personal reasons for not qualifying/leaving then you will not be funded (tuition fees only - you'll still be eligible for a maintenance loan and support) for the first 3 years of any course you start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.