Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Omg so I started a new job a few weeks ago. I joined after the rota had been done so I was given just a few shifts that added up to hours below my contract one. On the shifts previously given it said I was working 6:30-8:30 tomorrow. I thought this was a bit odd(working only 2 hours) and so asked a colleague if she could check when she went in tomorrow. However she told me that a rota had been done and I'm working 10-6, and that I had a 4 hour shift on Tuesday which I didn't show up to?!!! The shifts I was given at the beginning did not include Tuesday. They didnt even call me to ask why I didn't show up

Basically am I getting fired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Omg so I started a new job a few weeks ago. I joined after the rota had been done so I was given just a few shifts that added up to hours below my contract one. On the shifts previously given it said I was working 6:30-8:30 tomorrow. I thought this was a bit odd(working only 2 hours) and so asked a colleague if she could check when she went in tomorrow. However she told me that a rota had been done and I'm working 10-6, and that I had a 4 hour shift on Tuesday which I didn't show up to?!!! The shifts I was given at the beginning did not include Tuesday. They didnt even call me to ask why I didn't show up

Speak to them

ReputationRep:
    Phone. "When am I working?" Turn up. Work. No drama. All good.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Why didnt you check rotas beforehand? Depends what job it is. they probably managed without you and you will be ok. You need to check beforehand though and if its a day when you arent available, then tell them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Why didnt you check rotas beforehand? Depends what job it is. they probably managed without you and you will be ok. You need to check beforehand though and if its a day when you arent available, then tell them.
    I had no idea there was a new rota. I thought it was on a monthly basis
    I'm on probation as well since I'm new
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Maybe ask one of the workers who you think you cna trust and then ask management/ rgw owesin who organises the rota. Explain the reason you didnt check is becayse it was on a day your job doesnt cover and show them the letter which states your days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Maybe ask one of the workers who you think you cna trust and then ask management/ rgw owesin who organises the rota. Explain the reason you didnt check is becayse it was on a day your job doesnt cover and show them the letter which states your days.
    I hope they'll be understanding
    Thanks for your advice
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I hope they'll be understanding
    Thanks for your advice
    from reading your post the reason you didnt go or look is because the shift had already happened before you found out? if so and you have the letter showing days of work, which dont include that one then you have a good case.

ReputationRep:

I doubt they'll fire you. Turn up tomorrow, explain and apologise. Ultimately you didn't realise, but you know now. Also it's weird they wouldn't call you when you didn't turn up? In future though, take pictures of the rota for the week. So if they change it or add shifts for you without telling you you at least have pics of the original rota.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.