The Student Room Group

Am I getting fired?!!

Omg so I started a new job a few weeks ago. I joined after the rota had been done so I was given just a few shifts that added up to hours below my contract one. On the shifts previously given it said I was working 6:30-8:30 tomorrow. I thought this was a bit odd(working only 2 hours) and so asked a colleague if she could check when she went in tomorrow. However she told me that a rota had been done and I'm working 10-6, and that I had a 4 hour shift on Tuesday which I didn't show up to?!!! The shifts I was given at the beginning did not include Tuesday. They didnt even call me to ask why I didn't show up

Basically am I getting fired
Reply 1
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Omg so I started a new job a few weeks ago. I joined after the rota had been done so I was given just a few shifts that added up to hours below my contract one. On the shifts previously given it said I was working 6:30-8:30 tomorrow. I thought this was a bit odd(working only 2 hours) and so asked a colleague if she could check when she went in tomorrow. However she told me that a rota had been done and I'm working 10-6, and that I had a 4 hour shift on Tuesday which I didn't show up to?!!! The shifts I was given at the beginning did not include Tuesday. They didnt even call me to ask why I didn't show up

Speak to them
Reply 2
Phone. "When am I working?" Turn up. Work. No drama. All good.
Why didnt you check rotas beforehand? Depends what job it is. they probably managed without you and you will be ok. You need to check beforehand though and if its a day when you arent available, then tell them.
Original post by 999tigger
Why didnt you check rotas beforehand? Depends what job it is. they probably managed without you and you will be ok. You need to check beforehand though and if its a day when you arent available, then tell them.

I had no idea there was a new rota. I thought it was on a monthly basis :frown:
I'm on probation as well since I'm new
Maybe ask one of the workers who you think you cna trust and then ask management/ rgw owesin who organises the rota. Explain the reason you didnt check is becayse it was on a day your job doesnt cover and show them the letter which states your days.
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe ask one of the workers who you think you cna trust and then ask management/ rgw owesin who organises the rota. Explain the reason you didnt check is becayse it was on a day your job doesnt cover and show them the letter which states your days.

I hope they'll be understanding :frown:
Thanks for your advice
I hope they'll be understanding :frown:
Thanks for your advice

from reading your post the reason you didnt go or look is because the shift had already happened before you found out? if so and you have the letter showing days of work, which dont include that one then you have a good case.

I doubt they'll fire you. Turn up tomorrow, explain and apologise. Ultimately you didn't realise, but you know now. Also it's weird they wouldn't call you when you didn't turn up? In future though, take pictures of the rota for the week. So if they change it or add shifts for you without telling you you at least have pics of the original rota.

Quick Reply

Latest