The Student Room Group

Unfair edexcel french unit4 exam mark

I am now a Third Year Undergraduate to graduate in less than 2 months time from Queen Mary, University of London, intending to enroll at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) for a Master's degree in Management as of September 2016.
I am just writing to all students across the world going to undertake the Edexcel French Unit 4 (Research, Reading and Understanding), paper. I have taken my A2 French examination in June 2011, when in my Final Year of Highschool and I had straight grades A at all my units (1,2,3) and received a grade C at Unit4. I requested a remark, however the grade remained the same and then I was sure I had performed perfectly well in my exam (I can still remember all the quotes and all the points for the Literature essay on ''Un sac de billes'' de Joseph Joffo), so I requested My Script to be sent to me by Edexcel and when I witnessed how unfairly I had been marked I could not believe it. I was marked unfairly with ridiculously low grades for both the Persuasive Essay and the Research-Based Essay based on the literature text.
I urge you all to drop A-Level French, or not consider it as an A- Level if you carfe about your A- Level grades. Edexcel is a joke and I dont have any faith or trust in them.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Reply 2
What was their reasoning behind the low grades?
Reply 3
No reasoning. Just a random mark. I will send you my actual examination script if you want. Certainly the marker had never read Un Sac de Billes de Joseph Joffo or didnt know french.
Original post by pvotsis
I am now a Third Year Undergraduate to graduate in less than 2 months time from Queen Mary, University of London, intending to enroll at the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE) for a Master's degree in Management as of September 2016.
I am just writing to all students across the world going to undertake the Edexcel French Unit 4 (Research, Reading and Understanding), paper. I have taken my A2 French examination in June 2011, when in my Final Year of Highschool and I had straight grades A at all my units (1,2,3) and received a grade C at Unit4. I requested a remark, however the grade remained the same and then I was sure I had performed perfectly well in my exam (I can still remember all the quotes and all the points for the Literature essay on ''Un sac de billes'' de Joseph Joffo), so I requested My Script to be sent to me by Edexcel and when I witnessed how unfairly I had been marked I could not believe it. I was marked unfairly with ridiculously low grades for both the Persuasive Essay and the Research-Based Essay based on the literature text.
I urge you all to drop A-Level French, or not consider it as an A- Level if you carfe about your A- Level grades. Edexcel is a joke and I dont have any faith or trust in them.

You've scared me now. I have that exam coming up on the 14th :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by pvotsis
No reasoning. Just a random mark. I will send you my actual examination script if you want. Certainly the marker had never read Un Sac de Billes de Joseph Joffo or didnt know french.

Only just saw this. I'd be interested to see it if you don't mind - I'm taking the paper soon... It's awful.
Reply 6
No, dont be afraid just do your best. However bear in mind that markers can be extremely unfair and French has traditionally been an Alevel that does not offer fair grades to students. I will upload my Joffo Literature exam essay.
Original post by pvotsis
No, dont be afraid just do your best. However bear in mind that markers can be extremely unfair and French has traditionally been an Alevel that does not offer fair grades to students. I will upload my Joffo Literature exam essay.

Okay, I managed to get about 85% UMS in AS French last year so to get an A this year I need a mid B which is reassuring. What I'm hoping is that a couple of years ago there was a big thing that they felt languages needed to be made easier as not as many people were getting the higher grades, and I believe that is why they changed the way the translation was marked in June 2015. Hopefully they are less harsh than they were in 2011

Quick Reply

Latest