The Student Room Group

AQA Core 2 Maths prep. thread (25/05/16)

Hi, after seeing how much people helped with core 1 to build the unofficial mark scheme, i thought it might be a good idea to make this thread to get a discussion going of how people are feeling about core 2.

This could be in the form of asking a question about something that you are stuck on/ need help with or it could be people sharing an unusual question / answer that they found and how to go about solving it so that it benefits others.

I would love to hear people's thoughts on this and good luck with core 2 :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks and yeah hopefully it will be useful to people. Any problems let me know and like i say if you find an interesting answer be sure to leave it here :smile:
Core 1 was vile. It was absolutely vile.
I can sense c2 being vile too because they changed the structure last year so I'm expecting many 5 markers, an awful q on logs, an awful q on inductive sequences, and tricky numbers to trip people up.
I really struggle with trig, I don't get the CAST diagram, someone please explain it to me😭😭
Reply 3
Original post by RueXO
Core 1 was vile. It was absolutely vile.
I can sense c2 being vile too because they changed the structure last year so I'm expecting many 5 markers, an awful q on logs, an awful q on inductive sequences, and tricky numbers to trip people up.
I really struggle with trig, I don't get the CAST diagram, someone please explain it to me😭😭

Can I suggest using a different diagram? I dont like the CAST diagram either it confuses me so much lol. Have you tried a normal trig graph? here look at this image. I can explain using this graph if you would like me to as well :smile:
Reply 4
hey brilliant! I think get load of practice with the older papers to get used to the questions and then do the more modern ones as they require more skill / thinking.
Reply 5
An inductive sequence is one e.g Un = 3n -5 and then they'll say like what is U7 or something. Although they can get much more tricky and require simultaneous equations etc..
Original post by Rager6amer
An inductive sequence is one e.g Un = 3n -5 and then they'll say like what is U7 or something. Although they can get much more tricky and require simultaneous equations etc..

Yeah look at the ones in 2014 and 2015 they killed me 🙃
Reply 7
yes but be careful cos they come under arithmetic chapter BUT do not have the same formulas. they are slightly different :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by RueXO
Yeah look at the ones in 2014 and 2015 they killed me 🙃

haha i see what you are saying but if you write down all the info they give you and think about your options (e.g. simultaneous equations/subbing/equating or other techniques) then its not too bad at all :P

In terms of trig, how do you feel about using the y = tan x, y =sin x, y = cosx graphs instead of CAST, would that not be easier? :smile:
Reply 9
Considering the fact that I've studied A2 maths and further maths. I feel quite confident in the C2 paper. The only that still catches me are the Arithmetic and Geometric progressions. Does any body know an effective way of practic8ng these so they fit in my head.
Reply 10
Original post by SanaGul
Considering the fact that I've studied A2 maths and further maths. I feel quite confident in the C2 paper. The only that still catches me are the Arithmetic and Geometric progressions. Does any body know an effective way of practic8ng these so they fit in my head.

Yeah sure what is the problem you experience with them when doing these types of questions?
Reply 11
Excuse that it was made in paint but this is what I would do, although i got a different domain to the one you gave me so idk if/where i have made a mistake :frown: either way this is the right method :smile:
haha i see what you are saying but if you write down all the info they give you and think about your options (e.g. simultaneous equations/subbing/equating or other techniques) then its not too bad at all :P

In terms of trig, how do you feel about using the y = tan x, y =sin x, y = cosx graphs instead of CAST, would that not be easier? :smile:
I get confused with cos graphs 😒
Reply 13
Original post by RueXO
I get confused with cos graphs 😒

Ah ok what is it that confuses you? Y values are between 1 and -1 and the periodicity is 360 degrees. Or is it the finding other values within the domain that you find difficult?
Ah ok what is it that confuses you? Y values are between 1 and -1 and the periodicity is 360 degrees. Or is it the finding other values within the domain that you find difficult?

Finding other values, I sometimes end up missing some of them, and it's not as easy as sine graphs. I don't get when to add 180 or 360, when to take away etc
Reply 15
Original post by RueXO
Finding other values, I sometimes end up missing some of them, and it's not as easy as sine graphs. I don't get when to add 180 or 360, when to take away etc

Does this diagram i quickly made help? When the green line intersects the graph the blue lines are obviously where your solutions are (but of course it depends on the domain and if the graph has been transformed). Have a look at the example where cos x = 1/2 and then see how it is done. Let me if this helps/ if ya still stuck and at p.s i hope you are not colour blind lol :P
Does anyone know whether we have to be able to derive the formulas for all of the geometric and arithmetic progressions?
Original post by Kingal001
Does anyone know whether we have to be able to derive the formulas for all of the geometric and arithmetic progressions?

Definitely not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Kingal001

Are you joking? What rock have you been living under...
Original post by Adam998
Are you joking? What rock have you been living under...

Does this mean yes or no?
And I would hope a nice rock.

Quick Reply

Latest