Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 MATHS vs A2 Philosophy and Ethics (Religious Studies, OCR) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm still undecided af about what I want to drop and what I want to continue to A2 between RS and Maths. Can someone please give me some honest unbiased feedback about A2 RS? How different is it from AS? And how big is the leap from AS to A2. I noticed there's much less topics so I'm guessing there's more depth for each. And also I know about the change in essay structure but this doesn't bother me, because I do English lit. I prefer the A2 essay structure than the current one because that's how I've been trained to write as an Eng Lit student. But in terms of interest and enjoyment, whoever continued it to A2- did you find it more interesting? Or did it get more dull and boring. At AS, I enjoyed all the topics except the cosmological argument, teleological and the whole irreducible complexity part and intelligent design part of religion and science (q4 was ew) but I loved learning about Plato, Problem of Evol, Aristotle, Ontological Argument (it was so cleverly thought of!), Freud's moral argument (didn't really like Kant, but I like him in ethics. Kantian ethics is literally the best). I also didn't mind judeo Christian influences, as it was literally like English lit but with the bible😂 But it wasn't a favourite, I just didn't mind it. This year our teaching wasn't perfect for PHilosphy and I found myself to be self teaching everything therefore at times i tended to loathe the subject due to the heavy workload (already so much content, fact that I had to redo it all made me cry literally lol) but next year te A2 students are all taught by the heads of department and I've been to her revision sessions and she's an amazing teacher. But honestly I'm not sure if I'll like the A2 topics as I haven't really looked into them yet (still cramming for my other exams) so can someone please give me a summary and recommendation? My ethics teacher (she's actually amazing, she actuall teaches lol) briefly told us about ethics next year and although the lack of applied ethics is pretty sad the ethics seems so interesting next year (I've always loved ethics, found it slightly more challenging to apply certain topics like just war and rights to a child but besides that ethics is literally my favourite). This year for ethics I enjoyed it all thoroughly except from preference utilitarianism because there's barely anything on it in the books and was taught so briefly (yet it's on the spec... It could come up on Friday!) and broad topics such as absolutism and relativism etc sometimes I found it challenging but I'm practicing that because it comes up nearly every year.

I was initially set on dropping this subject because I actually used to hate it so much. I thought I sucked at it (due to the teaching and my current class) because I found it super stressful to go home and self teach and I felt like it interfered with other subjects to an extent. And honestly I don't talk to or get along with anyone in my class. They all talk way to much and I just feel out of synchrony with them because (I guess it's my fault in a way too) I never made any effort to get to know any of them like I do with people in my other lessons, but honestly I don't see myself getting along with any of them since there's such little common ground. There's this other quiet girl in my class though and she's lovely, but she's dropping this after AS. However, we were told that next year the classes will be mixed and split and we'll be assigned new teachers so I'm kinda banking on that because if the class and teaching is like it was this year then I'm screwed.

And for maths... I used to LOVE maths. I thought I was good at it, and it was a beautiful objective subject where you can get an idea of how well you do as soon as you leave the subject. You get a feeling of certainty and the past papers were all easy af... The teaching was all round ok (but this is less important for maths because literally I find the y12 maths thread more helpful because of the amazingly clever people on here who give up their time to help) I thought maths would be my A* subject as I got 70+ in past papers and just thought I had a grasp for the subject. However, in my C1 exam my mind completely froze and I had a panic attack and couldn't think straight because I personally found that paper INCREDIBLY hard (I know most people on here beg to differ so pls don't come here posting about how easy it was because I really don't need that right now) since I couldn't think straight I lefr out many questions and panicked and just forgot how to diferentiate and integrate 😂😂😭😭😭😭😭 even though that's my strongest point in maths, since GCSE I've always aced it but in the exam/: like I couldn't even prove dy/dx was 0 for one of the questions. And I was so stressed out I'm certain I made many silly mistakes (as well as dropping at least 15 marks from just not doing questions or certainly doing them wrong or leaving them unfinished) so I think realistically the highest I can get on that paper is a D which kills because I'm not used to being so bad at maths, I walked in fully prepared for the exam, completely chilled because I did everything I could with my greatest effort. I did every past paper, some Solomon papers, some stuff out of the textbook, some stuff out of my other textbook, some edexcel questions. I literally felt like I was prepared so it's not like I walked in with a negative mindset, but I wasn't 100% confident or big headed either because I'm that kind of person who's always slightly unsure and questioning own abilities. Sometjing just happened after the first few questions and I felt like I was going to pass out and burst into tears. The day before the exam I also passed out in library while revising philosophy and ended up missing English lit. I feel like that exam wasn't a true reflection and now my confidence levels for C2 and S1 are low af, whenever I do past papers or timed questions I freak out midway and just remember the c1 experience so now I'm doing badly in those too. C1 was my strongest paper during practice so I'm literally terrified now because I was hoping to do really well in it to allow for a few mistakes in S1. If I were to continue maths id certainly retake C1, and I feel like if I flopped so bad in C1 how will I cope with A2? A2 looks vile, but then again so did c1 and c2 and s1 when I was in y11.

Philosophy I have struggled with all year whereas maths I kinda sailed through it because my foundation was pretty good. I just struggled with logarithms and trig and inductive sequences in c2 (still kinda do) and with philosophy I felt intellectually drained after some topics such as cosmological argument. It was literally two old men fighting about God and realising they're irrelevant. However, the philosophy exam I felt calm and I think it went really well for me (I thought maths would go well and philosophy wouldn't, but I think I taught myself pretty well)

I know from reading this anyone would say 'drop maths do RS' but the thing is, I didn't enjoy RS as such this year, I liked the topics I mentioned but I hated learning them and I felt like it was really content heavy and with such little guidance I felt so lost all year. I think I started picking it up after my whatsapp PHilosphy and ethics chat because we all helped eachother and did essay plans and shared notes and predicted topics (one guy in our chat predicted all 4 topics and in the exact order they came up back in April!)
    Maths I loved it for the whole year, I loved my class and my teachers and felt like it was a chilled lesson and we could work and talk, even the topic tests seemed chilled because the level wasn't too bad in my opinion and our c1 and c2 teacher was really really good (s1 teacher was good too but her pace was incredibly fast but that's not her fault it's because we only had 2 single periods a week to cover the whole syllabus and we started it pretty late compared to the other two) I made friends in my maths class and I enjoy learning with them and I just loved the environment of maths but at the end of the day it all boils down to the exams (unfair because honestly this isn't a true reflection on student abilities. Panic attacks and stress really influence people like it did with me) and I won't even get any consideration because I don't have a history for this, nor did I suffer from panic attacks in GCSE. It was a total shocker to me. And on top of all this I find it genuinely hard to finish Anyrhing on time (from a very young age)

ReputationRep:
    Someone pls help me move this to religion and theology section/maths 😭😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RueXO)
    I'm still undecided af about what I want to drop and what I want to continue to A2 between RS and Maths. Can someone please give me some honest unbiased feedback about A2 RS? How different is it from AS? And how big is the leap from AS to A2. I noticed there's much less topics so I'm guessing there's more depth for each. And also I know about the change in essay structure but this doesn't bother me, because I do English lit. I prefer the A2 essay structure than the current one because that's how I've been trained to write as an Eng Lit student. But in terms of interest and enjoyment, whoever continued it to A2- did you find it more interesting? Or did it get more dull and boring. At AS, I enjoyed all the topics except the cosmological argument, teleological and the whole irreducible complexity part and intelligent design part of religion and science (q4 was ew) but I loved learning about Plato, Problem of Evol, Aristotle, Ontological Argument (it was so cleverly thought of!), Freud's moral argument (didn't really like Kant, but I like him in ethics. Kantian ethics is literally the best). I also didn't mind judeo Christian influences, as it was literally like English lit but with the bible😂 But it wasn't a favourite, I just didn't mind it. This year our teaching wasn't perfect for PHilosphy and I found myself to be self teaching everything therefore at times i tended to loathe the subject due to the heavy workload (already so much content, fact that I had to redo it all made me cry literally lol) but next year te A2 students are all taught by the heads of department and I've been to her revision sessions and she's an amazing teacher. But honestly I'm not sure if I'll like the A2 topics as I haven't really looked into them yet (still cramming for my other exams) so can someone please give me a summary and recommendation? My ethics teacher (she's actually amazing, she actuall teaches lol) briefly told us about ethics next year and although the lack of applied ethics is pretty sad the ethics seems so interesting next year (I've always loved ethics, found it slightly more challenging to apply certain topics like just war and rights to a child but besides that ethics is literally my favourite). This year for ethics I enjoyed it all thoroughly except from preference utilitarianism because there's barely anything on it in the books and was taught so briefly (yet it's on the spec... It could come up on Friday!) and broad topics such as absolutism and relativism etc sometimes I found it challenging but I'm practicing that because it comes up nearly every year.

I was initially set on dropping this subject because I actually used to hate it so much. I thought I sucked at it (due to the teaching and my current class) because I found it super stressful to go home and self teach and I felt like it interfered with other subjects to an extent. And honestly I don't talk to or get along with anyone in my class. They all talk way to much and I just feel out of synchrony with them because (I guess it's my fault in a way too) I never made any effort to get to know any of them like I do with people in my other lessons, but honestly I don't see myself getting along with any of them since there's such little common ground. There's this other quiet girl in my class though and she's lovely, but she's dropping this after AS. However, we were told that next year the classes will be mixed and split and we'll be assigned new teachers so I'm kinda banking on that because if the class and teaching is like it was this year then I'm screwed.

And for maths... I used to LOVE maths. I thought I was good at it, and it was a beautiful objective subject where you can get an idea of how well you do as soon as you leave the subject. You get a feeling of certainty and the past papers were all easy af... The teaching was all round ok (but this is less important for maths because literally I find the y12 maths thread more helpful because of the amazingly clever people on here who give up their time to help) I thought maths would be my A* subject as I got 70+ in past papers and just thought I had a grasp for the subject. However, in my C1 exam my mind completely froze and I had a panic attack and couldn't think straight because I personally found that paper INCREDIBLY hard (I know most people on here beg to differ so pls don't come here posting about how easy it was because I really don't need that right now) since I couldn't think straight I lefr out many questions and panicked and just forgot how to diferentiate and integrate 😂😂😭😭😭😭😭 even though that's my strongest point in maths, since GCSE I've always aced it but in the exam/: like I couldn't even prove dy/dx was 0 for one of the questions. And I was so stressed out I'm certain I made many silly mistakes (as well as dropping at least 15 marks from just not doing questions or certainly doing them wrong or leaving them unfinished) so I think realistically the highest I can get on that paper is a D which kills because I'm not used to being so bad at maths, I walked in fully prepared for the exam, completely chilled because I did everything I could with my greatest effort. I did every past paper, some Solomon papers, some stuff out of the textbook, some stuff out of my other textbook, some edexcel questions. I literally felt like I was prepared so it's not like I walked in with a negative mindset, but I wasn't 100% confident or big headed either because I'm that kind of person who's always slightly unsure and questioning own abilities. Sometjing just happened after the first few questions and I felt like I was going to pass out and burst into tears. The day before the exam I also passed out in library while revising philosophy and ended up missing English lit. I feel like that exam wasn't a true reflection and now my confidence levels for C2 and S1 are low af, whenever I do past papers or timed questions I freak out midway and just remember the c1 experience so now I'm doing badly in those too. C1 was my strongest paper during practice so I'm literally terrified now because I was hoping to do really well in it to allow for a few mistakes in S1. If I were to continue maths id certainly retake C1, and I feel like if I flopped so bad in C1 how will I cope with A2? A2 looks vile, but then again so did c1 and c2 and s1 when I was in y11.

Philosophy I have struggled with all year whereas maths I kinda sailed through it because my foundation was pretty good. I just struggled with logarithms and trig and inductive sequences in c2 (still kinda do) and with philosophy I felt intellectually drained after some topics such as cosmological argument. It was literally two old men fighting about God and realising they're irrelevant. However, the philosophy exam I felt calm and I think it went really well for me (I thought maths would go well and philosophy wouldn't, but I think I taught myself pretty well)

I know from reading this anyone would say 'drop maths do RS' but the thing is, I didn't enjoy RS as such this year, I liked the topics I mentioned but I hated learning them and I felt like it was really content heavy and with such little guidance I felt so lost all year. I think I started picking it up after my whatsapp PHilosphy and ethics chat because we all helped eachother and did essay plans and shared notes and predicted topics (one guy in our chat predicted all 4 topics and in the exact order they came up back in April!)
    Maths I loved it for the whole year, I loved my class and my teachers and felt like it was a chilled lesson and we could work and talk, even the topic tests seemed chilled because the level wasn't too bad in my opinion and our c1 and c2 teacher was really really good (s1 teacher was good too but her pace was incredibly fast but that's not her fault it's because we only had 2 single periods a week to cover the whole syllabus and we started it pretty late compared to the other two) I made friends in my maths class and I enjoy learning with them and I just loved the environment of maths but at the end of the day it all boils down to the exams (unfair because honestly this isn't a true reflection on student abilities. Panic attacks and stress really influence people like it did with me) and I won't even get any consideration because I don't have a history for this, nor did I suffer from panic attacks in GCSE. It was a total shocker to me. And on top of all this I find it genuinely hard to finish Anyrhing on time (from a very young age)
    I'm in the exact same position as you, apparently RS at A2 is easier according to my teachers but idk how reliable that is and yeah i'm like exactly the same for maths lol, its the certainty of all those past papers and all the practice available that just makes me feel more comfortable as opposed to the subjective RS essays. I am going to wait till results day and see how I did and will probably continue with the one I did better in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.