The Student Room Group

Envious of tall girls :(

Hi,

i have a huge problem. Since i turned 13 my self esteem kicked in. Ive been suffering from depression for a long time and to top it all up i have problems with my height and its getting worse.
When i was young i use to wear heels to make myself look taller, there was a period where i did stop for a long time but now its becomming taller.
Everytime i see a taller girl than me in the shopping centre i get so jealous it makes my self esteem go super low. I am currently 18 years old and 5ft 5, i have always envied women taller than me there is this utter hate i have towards them for no reason. I know its not their fault but its like im always wanting to be taller.
I have started to wear 3-4 inch heels so i can be as tall as 5.8-5.9 but i can never feel happy its like i feel ok wearing the heels but at the end of the day i come home with horrible blistered feet and aching ankles, its hell.
I constantly compare myself to models, tall women, and every girl literally tall.
Its comming to a point where i have become really sucidal. I sometimes think getting rods in my thighs so i can be taller. Even if i was 5.7 i would be satisfied. This is a problem i want to get the fat reduced from my thighs and get rods fitted in them so i can be taller, really its that serious! and im going mental over it.
Like for example today i saw this tall blonde girl and i got so jealous i started to curse her in my head ! i even curse myself! its ridiculous!
whats wrong with me! its just my height! only my height!
I want to get surgery done i want to be taller some how some way!
its driving me insane and its killing me everyday.
My friend wanted to see me without my heels and i took them off and she was shocked! it made me so sad i ran to the toilet and started to cry, thats how pathetic this has come.
Everone who meets me honestly says im beautiful, and im model like, but why i cant believe them! its just my height, models are tall, and i only loook tall coz of the heels.
im going crazy over this, i wish i was a normal size 5.7 so i can wear a regular heel and look 5.8-5.9 easily its just so unfair...this is reallly serious really serious. I have even started to self harm , ive cut my thighs before and started to fit long things inside so i can be taller but it pains so bad, idk what to do, im really sad and upset about this, please help me and dont target at me , its a terrible problem im going through and i seriously need help :'(

Scroll to see replies

Small girls are hot. If anything, you're too tall.

But really, I think that this is just indicative of more pressing and deeper self-esteem issues you have.
Anonymous.
ive cut my thighs before and started to fit long things inside so i can be taller but it pains so bad

You have deeper issues dude. You need help.

5 foot 5 isn't even small, that's what kills it.
Reply 3
I'm 5 foot 1. In some ways I've always wanted to be taller but I've learnt to accept and love myself.

You are beautiful. People tell you that. Height won't change your beauty.
Do you want to be a model?
If not then no ones ever going to say you're not tall enough. If you do then there are agencies that will look at shorter models.

You don't need surgery, or even heels. Self love.
Reply 4
Bread and Circlejerks
Small girls are hot. If anything, you're too tall.

But really, I think that this is just indicative of more pressing and deeper self-esteem issues you have.

Hey.. i know you wanna make her feel better, but really. you leave us tall girls alone!

being tall really isnt that great, guys do love small girls they can protect, and be all 'i am man, me protect girl ug ug'.

you can wear heels, making your legs look amazing, and not tower over every guy you meet.

Good things come in small packages

The only advantage being tall has is being able to reach higher shelves!
Reply 5
i'm 5 foot 3 and i like being short! i wouldn't want to tower over everyone.. it makes me feel more feminine in a way..
5'5 isnt that small...
Anonymous.
Hi,

i have a huge problem. Since i turned 13 my self esteem kicked in. Ive been suffering from depression for a long time and to top it all up i have problems with my height and its getting worse.
When i was young i use to wear heels to make myself look taller, there was a period where i did stop for a long time but now its becomming taller.
Everytime i see a taller girl than me in the shopping centre i get so jealous it makes my self esteem go super low. I am currently 18 years old and 5ft 5, i have always envied women taller than me there is this utter hate i have towards them for no reason. I know its not their fault but its like im always wanting to be taller.
I have started to wear 3-4 inch heels so i can be as tall as 5.8-5.9 but i can never feel happy its like i feel ok wearing the heels but at the end of the day i come home with horrible blistered feet and aching ankles, its hell.
I constantly compare myself to models, tall women, and every girl literally tall.
Its comming to a point where i have become really sucidal. I sometimes think getting rods in my thighs so i can be taller. Even if i was 5.7 i would be satisfied. This is a problem i want to get the fat reduced from my thighs and get rods fitted in them so i can be taller, really its that serious! and im going mental over it.
Like for example today i saw this tall blonde girl and i got so jealous i started to curse her in my head ! i even curse myself! its ridiculous!
My friend wanted to see me without my heels and i took them off and she was shocked! it made me so sad i ran to the toilet and started to cry, thats how pathetic this has come.
Everone who meets me honestly says im beautiful, and im model like, but why i cant believe them! its just my height, models are tall, and i only loook tall coz of the heels.
im going crazy over this, i wish i was a normal size 5.7 so i can wear a regular heel and look 5.8-5.9 easily its just so unfair...this is reallly serious really serious. I have even started to self harm , ive cut my thighs before and started to fit long things inside so i can be taller but it pains so bad, idk what to do, im really sad and upset about this, please help me and dont target at me , its a terrible problem im going through and i seriously need help :'(

Right, you're model attractiveness and 5'5"....which isn't even short for a girl.

Thats ridiculous...you seriously need to accept yourself, you could have it far worse.

Sorry if that seems insensitive....but considering the world we live in....you've not exactly been hard done to have you? Most guys will be more attracted to someone your height than someone taller cos they like to feel dominant and masculine: the average male height is 5'9", only 6 footers would prefer taller girls, and 6 footers are in the minority!!
Reply 8
I love to be 5"5, I don't really know what you're moaning about anyway since thats above average anyway. Im only 5 foot.

But you really should see someone, about this especially if it weighs on your mind so much.
i dont think im even 5 foot and im nearly 18
Reply 10
I'm 19 years old and 5ft1, i'm completely comfortable with my height. I never used to be, but I am now.

Seriously height isn't a big deal, and what is those two extra inches going to do for you? Nothing. You might think all your problems will be solved by growing a couple of inches, your problems run a lot deeper than that. I hate to seem rude, but it's true. You are self harming because you consider yourself small, 5ft5 isn't small for a girl. I really think you need to speak to someone about your self harming.
Reply 11
I have to say TopSortedMadforIt is right.
I'm 5'1. Seriously, there is nothing wrong with being small - and you aren't even small! 5'5 is not small!

People rarely notice height anyway - as long as you have a big personality, it doesn't matter.

Please don't worry - I'm sure you are gorgeous!
Being tall isn't that great either - I hardly ever wear heels when I'm with friends as I tower above them! Anyway, from my experience, guys prefer you to be smaller than them, probably the whole protective thing. The upshot is: seriously, I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about it if you can. I have a few friends who are about 5ft or 5ft 1 and they're perfectly fine with it, even though they are considered small - in fact they never wear heels (not exaggerating). 5ft 5 isn't small at all, actually is it about the female average? Or it was a few years ago definitely. Good luck with everything, I hope you feel better soon :smile:
5'5 is a great height for a girl. Seriously. I prefer girls 5'6 or shorter, probably because I'm rather short myself! You've got issues. Get over the inferiority complex.
Reply 15
Anonymous.
Hi,

Firstly let me point out that the UK average height for a woman is 5'4 and therefore at 5'5 you could say you are taller than average. I can understand why you might be envious of those who may be taller than you but you are hardly short.

Secondly can I ask, what exactly will self-harm achieve? Except for the fact that either you may end up taking your life away over something which in reality is utterly trivial, or you may end up being sectioned and prescribed medication and basically ruin your life. and over what exactly? Because you're taller than the national average but still shorter than the few people you might see in the street/fashion magazines.

Seriously, you need sort out these issues because frankly if you are self-harming then this is quite serious.

I think there should be some sort of "potential trigger" thing on this thread.
Mama Sita
I have to say TopSortedMadforIt is right.

More often than my rep would suggest. :p:
Reply 17
Neutral_Tones
Being tall isn't that great either - I hardly ever wear heels when I'm with friends as I tower above them! Anyway, from my experience, guys prefer you to be smaller than them, probably the whole protective thing. The upshot is: seriously, I know it's easier said than done, but try not to worry about it if you can. I have a few friends who are about 5ft or 5ft 1 and they're perfectly fine with it, even though they are considered small - in fact they never wear heels (not exaggerating). 5ft 5 isn't small at all, actually is it about the female average? Or it was a few years ago definitely. Good luck with everything, I hope you feel better soon :smile:

5'4 is the average. I doubt average heights would have changed drastically over a few years (if at all).
Reply 18
firstly, i'm 5"2 and my only problem is seeing at gigs.
seccondly, how many tall girl do you know who get piggy-backs home?
I'm only 5ft 2 and find that most blokes prefer shorter girls apparantly they're cuter. My fiance is like 6 foot something which is a lot taller than me but he says thats the way he likes it. I do agree with what people are saying though, you obviously have problems that you should talk to someone about xx

Latest

Trending

Trending