The Student Room Group

Literature Exam Question Please Read!

I have written an answer for an extract question about, “Of Mice and Men” and I wound really like for someone to read it and write how I could improve it and mark I would get, this question was from a Foundation paper because that is the type of paper I would get next Monday for my Literature exam.

The question was "What do you think of the way Candy speaks and behaves here? Give reasons for what you say, and remember to support your answer with words and phrases from the extract."

The extract was from when George and Lennie was talking about their dream of getting their own farm in the bunkhouse and Candy wanted to be part of it. At the beginning of extract, Candy was anxious when he sat at ‘the edge of his bunk’ and when he scratched his wrist ‘nervously’ this could show he was uncomfortable about the situation when he was talking about his disability when he got ‘hurt four year ago’. Candy was generous when he said ‘if I give you guys my money’ shows he would give everything to George and Lennie for their dream farm so he can be a part of it when he suggests what he would do on their farm like, ‘was dishes’, ’hoe in the garden’. This could imply that he is desperate to be in their farm because he is lonely this is proven in the extract when he says he ‘won’t have no place to go’. Candy was sad when he spoke ‘miserably’ because of ‘what they done to [his] dog’ later on that day, when the workers shot the dog because it was too old and smelled. Candy is very determined when he said ‘sure will’ about sending money to George and Lennie for their farm. Candy was happy when ‘grinning with delight’ showing that he is excited about his future and the relationship he has with George and Lennie .However, at the end of the extract Candy was guilty and filled with regret when he thought he should have ‘shot that dog myself’ meaning that he had a strong bond with the dog and he should have ended himself with honour.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest