Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    My story begins when at 17 years of age I quit a promising time at college to answer the beckoning calls of London. Mainly whispers caused by a stressful home life.
    I couldn't focus and a student that once skived lunch breaks and PE to write political plays in the theatre became one constantly absent.

In order to match the thrills I once felt from academics; I became a fish in murky waters enchanted by the glowing red lights. Degraded back to a beastly state working in the so called 'adult' industry. Selfish fully grown children frolicking and sucking the life out society.

It took love with my opposite to conceive a pregnancy at 21 years of age to realise my body is not a machine but a useful creation.
    It took travelling pregnant across Africa to realise that we are all capable and deserving to be significant. To make an impact and stop this cyclone of poverty, hunger and depression.

So, is it possible for someone like me to attend a University such as Cambridge?
    I fell in love with the campus and the passion that the students have.
    But I feel as if I have allowed myself to become a useless breeder and won't be deserving the same respect as a school leaver.
    I am researching the steps of entry but they all seem misleading as I only have AS Levels.

Thank you for taking your time to read.
    I am incredibly grateful for any guidance you have,
    Amaya

ReputationRep:
    Contact Cambridge admissions, if you've only got AS Levels then they'll require you to do the second year to make them up to full A-Levels, or do an Access to HE course depending on what degree you're looking to do.

You look like you have a talent for writing but you might get more replies if you post using plain English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amayajo)
    So, is it possible for someone like me to attend a University such as Cambridge?
    Yes.

Your tale of personal woe will be irrelevant on a UCAS application as long as you get the correct qualifications. You won't get into any uni just with AS Levels so you need to do more study. Probably a one year Access to Higher Education course as a mature student. Cambridge does accept these for some courses, so check on their subject websites if that is your ultimate goal.

Students do go to uni with babies. Whilst that factor will inevitably make things much harder for you, it is not a barrier to uni study. It's certainly not necessary to make a big deal of it on your Personal Statement.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by amayajo)
    Hello,
    My story begins when at 17 years of age I quit a promising time at college to answer the beckoning calls of London. Mainly whispers caused by a stressful home life.
    I couldn't focus and a student that once skived lunch breaks and PE to write political plays in the theatre became one constantly absent.

In order to match the thrills I once felt from academics; I became a fish in murky waters enchanted by the glowing red lights. Degraded back to a beastly state working in the so called 'adult' industry. Selfish fully grown children frolicking and sucking the life out society.

It took love with my opposite to conceive a pregnancy at 21 years of age to realise my body is not a machine but a useful creation.
    It took travelling pregnant across Africa to realise that we are all capable and deserving to be significant. To make an impact and stop this cyclone of poverty, hunger and depression.

I fell in love with the campus and the passion that the students have.
    But I feel as if I have allowed myself to become a useless breeder and won't be deserving the same respect as a school leaver.
    I am researching the steps of entry but they all seem misleading as I only have AS Levels.

Thank you for taking your time to read.
    I am incredibly grateful for any guidance you have,
    Amaya
    You will need A2's just contact Cambridge and they might let you do your second year of A2's

ReputationRep:
    The most important thing is your academic ability. I think also the colleges can assist in coming up with arrangements in order that you find necessary time to study, although I think Lucy Cavendish, being an all-female mature college, may have more experience in dealing with students who also have other commitments. Generally though, mature colleges IMO are more sympathetic to any needs you may have (basically needs specific to someone who isn't fresh out of secondary school); in my college I see mothers all the time. I don't know them personally so I can't comment with authority on how they are coping, but from appearances at least, it seems perfectly alright. Shoot the Wolfson and Lucy UG Admin an email (they're great): [email protected] k , [email protected] explaining your situation; any concerns you might have (the colleges are very accommodating) and what qualifications you may need for the course you're interested in. You mentioned political plays, so I'm guessing it's between English Lit, HSPS or History and Politics (new for 2017, and sounds great). Would personally advise doing Access to Humanities/Social Sciences which is 1 year. More than welcome to drop me a msg if you'd like anymore help on applying/preparing etc etc etc etc.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.