Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why does the relative refractive index for speeds between 2 materials need to be lower than 1 for TIR to occur, and how would it be like for refractive indices instead of speed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennifer50)
    Why does the relative refractive index for speeds between 2 materials need to be lower than 1 for TIR to occur, and how would it be like for refractive indices instead of speed?
    TIR is total internal reflection, not refraction. It happens when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, from a more optically dense material to a less optically dense one.
    I'm not sure what you are asking about speeds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBride)
    TIR is total internal reflection, not refraction. It happens when the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle, from a more optically dense material to a less optically dense one.
    I'm not sure what you are asking about speeds?
    Exactly what he said, and regarding the speed, the wave speeds up as it is refrated from a more dense to less dense medium hence the angle of refraction is greater than the angle of incidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    Exactly what he said, and regarding the speed, the wave speeds up as it is refrated from a more dense to less dense medium hence the angle of refraction is greater than the angle of incidence
    It was a question on the aqa as physics paper 2 specimen paper
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    We'll start with Snell's law n_isin(\theta_i)=n_rsin(\theta_r  )

if we set the beam to be the minimum angle of incidence that produces TIR then \theta_r = 90

this means that n_isin(\theta_i) = n_r

since 0 \leq sin(\theta) \leq 1, 0 \leq \theta \leq 90

\frac{n_r}{n_i} \leq 1
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Also the speed of light in a material is related to the refractive index by

n = \frac{c}{v} where c is the speed of light in vacuo and v is the speed of light in the medium.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.