Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Little background Currently at AS and I have 4 AS subjects.
    Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths.

Had exams which were going well (pretty sure I have 100UMS for C1) till I had my further maths exam for which I was confident for but had run out of time and am now anywhere from D to B, the depressing thing about this was that I was perfectly able to answer the questions but had fallen to the wrong path due to exam technique (thinking I would leave longer questions for later and ended up seeing that all of them were longer , essentially wasting 30 minutes and making silly errors due to lost time).

That aside Assuming I get near 100 UMS on all other of my AS levels and modules
    Would I have lost my application/offer chances for Cambridge?

(applying for Computer Science)
    I would meet their offer, but I'm planning to continue Further Maths as I enjoy it. I feel as though they won't consider my application since others will likely have something such as AAA with maths and further maths or AAAA while I would have AAAC
    where C Is further maths..

What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jtru)

Had exams which were going well (pretty sure I have 100UMS for C1) till I had my further maths exam for which I was confident for but had run out of time and am now anywhere from D to B, the depressing thing about this was that I was perfectly able to answer the questions but had fallen to the wrong path due to exam technique (thinking I would leave longer questions for later and ended up seeing that all of them were longer , essentially wasting 30 minutes and making silly errors due to lost time).

I would meet their offer, but I'm planning to continue Further Maths as I enjoy it. I feel as though they won't consider my application since others will likely have something such as AAA with maths and further maths or AAAA while I would have AAAC

What can I do?
    You say you're currently in AS, but you're talking about losing your application/offer from Cambridge?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by jtru)

What can I do?
    I presume you are NOT an offer holder, but are considering applying to Cambridge in October. If so, having one "poor" module will not necessarily make or break an application. They understand that people can have a bad day.

See how your exams actually go on results day and then apply. If necessary you can resit FP1 next year. By the way, you will only have UMS for maths modules, not the other, linear, AS-levels.

And you will potentially have the CSAT as another opportunity to impress Cambridge.

Edit: also, I've moved your thread to the Cambridge forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I presume you are NOT an offer holder, but are considering applying to Cambridge in October. If so, having one "poor" module will not necessarily make or break an application. They understand that people can have a bad day.

See how your exams actually go on results day and then apply. If necessary you can resit FP1 next year. By the way, you will only have UMS for maths modules, not the other, linear, AS-levels.

And you will potentially have the CSAT as another opportunity to impress Cambridge.

Edit: also, I've moved your thread to the Cambridge forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much (and also for the fast reply).
    Yes I am not an offer holder and thank you for that information.
    Its refreshing to hear that my chances are not in jeopardy.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately your chances at Camebridge are officially gone, However you could try Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    I was in almost exactly the same situation as you last year -- most of my exams (in the same subjects) went well, apart from FP1, which went badly. I applied to Cambridge in October for Computer Science, got an interview and eventually an offer! So my advice would be not to worry too much about that exam. There is a good chance you will do better than expected -- I thought I'd get a C or B in FP1, but I managed to scrape an A -- and they will take into account other modules as well (although I think FP1 is probably quite important, as it is the hardest module you are likely to do at AS so it should reflect your ability quite well). If you get 100% in all your other modules, you will certainly get an interview -- anyone with a UMS average of over 93% for most subjects is guaranteed an interview due to the auto-pooling system. Even if you don't, as long as you have above a 90% average you have a strong chance at an interview, which you can hopefully use to reassure the admissions tutors that you can do hard maths. Good luck with the rest of your exams!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    I was in almost exactly the same situation as you last year -- most of my exams (in the same subjects) went well, apart from FP1, which went badly. I applied to Cambridge in October for Computer Science, got an interview and eventually an offer! So my advice would be not to worry too much about that exam. There is a good chance you will do better than expected -- I thought I'd get a C or B in FP1, but I managed to scrape an A -- and they will take into account other modules as well (although I think FP1 is probably quite important, as it is the hardest module you are likely to do at AS so it should reflect your ability quite well). If you get 100% in all your other modules, you will certainly get an interview -- anyone with a UMS average of over 93% for most subjects is guaranteed an interview due to the auto-pooling system. Even if you don't, as long as you have above a 90% average you have a strong chance at an interview, which you can hopefully use to reassure the admissions tutors that you can do hard maths. Good luck with the rest of your exams!
    Actually I don't know how/if auto-pooling will work in the 2017 cycle given the absence of UMS for most subjects. But they do interview approx 80% of candidates anyway

ReputationRep:
    GL with that. You can still do it you just have to work hard at your exam technique.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.