Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    So I studied course A in Sept '14 until Dec '14, paying £2,250 for the first instalment of tuition fee loan.
    I withdrew from course A in December '14 but decided to try course B in Sept '15 at the same uni (for the sake of it but also because I had already signed a housing contract and needed the loan to pay for the contract). A month later, I withdrew and effectively have paid £0 in fees for course B.

    I have just spoken to SFE with regards to funding for which I am eligible in the future.

    Despite the total tuition fees for course A and B coming to £2,250 and both lasting under a semester, I will not be eligible for a full course's tuition fee funding in the future, because I have previously attended university for "2 years".

    Therefore, going by their rule of 'new course length' + '1 gift year' - 'previous years of study', I am eligible for my new course length minus one year.

    I asked the SFE guy if there was any way to appeal because it appears to be crazy how, despite only 'loaning' £2,250 in tuition fees, I have effectively been deemed as taking out 2 years worth of tuition fee loans - he said there is no way to appeal unless I withdrew for medical reasons (which I did not).

    Has anyone got any advice on this? I thought I would be able to appeal the decision!

    Unless you have medical reasons as to why you left the course before, then there are no grounds for an appeal unfortunately. I was in the same situation a year ago, but I had a medical reason as to why I left my previous course. I successfully appealed, albeit with help from my local MP.

    Student Finance doesn't care that you only loaned a certain amount. Once you enrol on a course, that year is used up. Therefore, you would need to fund the year yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    As above - there are other reasons, like bereavement. But "I don't like the course" won't be accepted.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.