Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How does the frequency of an object undergoing forced oscillations vary with the frequency of the driving force? Does it always have the same frequency as the driving force?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1lilypad1)
    How does the frequency of an object undergoing forced oscillations vary with the frequency of the driving force? Does it always have the same frequency as the driving force?
    This graph should help you get to your answer, but if it is forced oscillation, it's not SHM anymore right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reda2)
    This graph should help you get to your answer, but if it is forced oscillation, it's not SHM anymore right?
    I can't see a graph anywhere

True, it's not SHM, but it comes under the topic of SHM in the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    This is the graph Reda is referring to:

ReputationRep:
    I can't see a graph anywhere

True, it's not SHM, but it comes under the topic of SHM in the textbook.
    hehe, my bad, I forgot the graph

Name:  resonance-graph.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  9.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobjim12)
    This is the graph Reda is referring to:

Exactly that

ReputationRep:
    No, the only time that the natural frequency of the system is equal to the forcing frequency is when there is resonance. All other times, they are not the same and the graph in the responses above would show how they vary with each other.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen that graph lots, but what I'm really after is one of frequency of oscillator against driving frequency. I haven't been able to find one

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've seen that graph lots, but what I'm really after is one of frequency of oscillator against driving frequency. I haven't been able to find one

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They will be always the same right? The driving frequency becomes the oscillator source. I'm not sure about this. So it will just be a straight line?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.