Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I studied course A in Sept '14 until Dec '14, paying £2,250 for the first instalment of tuition fee loan.
    I withdrew from course A in Dec '14 but decided to try course B in Sept '15 at the same uni (for the sake of it but also because I had already signed a housing contract and needed the maintenance loan to pay for the contract). A month later, I withdrew and effectively have paid £0 in fees for course B.

I have just spoken to SFE with regards to funding for which I am eligible in the future.

Despite the total tuition fees for course A and B coming to £2,250 and both lasting under a semester, I will not be eligible for a full course's tuition fee funding in the future, because I have previously attended university for "2 years".

Therefore, going by their rule of 'new course length' + '1 gift year' - 'previous years of study', I am eligible for my new course length minus one year.

I asked the SFE guy if there was any way to appeal because it appears to be crazy how, despite only 'loaning' £2,250 in tuition fees, I have effectively been deemed as taking out 2 years worth of tuition fee loans - he said there is no way to appeal unless I withdrew for medical reasons (which I did not).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by jc117010)
    So I studied course A in Sept '14 until Dec '14, paying £2,250 for the first instalment of tuition fee loan.
    I withdrew from course A in Dec '14 but decided to try course B in Sept '15 at the same uni (for the sake of it but also because I had already signed a housing contract and needed the maintenance loan to pay for the contract). A month later, I withdrew and effectively have paid £0 in fees for course B.

I have just spoken to SFE with regards to funding for which I am eligible in the future.

Despite the total tuition fees for course A and B coming to £2,250 and both lasting under a semester, I will not be eligible for a full course's tuition fee funding in the future, because I have previously attended university for "2 years".

Therefore, going by their rule of 'new course length' + '1 gift year' - 'previous years of study', I am eligible for my new course length minus one year.

I asked the SFE guy if there was any way to appeal because it appears to be crazy how, despite only 'loaning' £2,250 in tuition fees, I have effectively been deemed as taking out 2 years worth of tuition fee loans - he said there is no way to appeal unless I withdrew for medical reasons (which I did not).
    You've been allowed two years funding, so the advice given is correct. Unless you have Compelling Personal Reasons that meant you dropped out (family problems, sever illness etc) then you will have to fund the first year of a new degree course yourself.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    They count, I believe, a few weeks as a whole year. And it's based on how many years you've attended uni. So, yes, what you've been told is right.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.