Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it unusual for someone to exceed their predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    No, they're really rough predictions.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think mine are too high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    It is not unusual for someone to exceed predicted grades, especially if they invest extra effort in preparing for the real exams. It is also possible for someone to do worse than predicted grades. At the end of the day it's a guess by a teacher based on their teaching experience and knowledge of the student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    My predicted grades are probably my "potential", but my revision is the biggest mess so I probably won't achieve them. I'm predicted 3 A*s and 8 As and I already know I got a B in that horrible Biology paper or even lower, even though I was predicted an A*

ReputationRep:
    It depends, In my GCSE's I was always predicted 1 grade lower than the rest of my class for absolutely no reason. I always scored higher in tests and when it came to results day I was in the top 10 best results. Also, some teachers judgement is shite, there was this fat kid in my P.E that never did Fitness because he was 'injured' but he came out with a higher fitness score than me?!?!!?

ReputationRep:
    Um well for me and a few of my friends we found that they weren't accurate. I've been getting A*s in maths and in some occasions an A (they were like 3-4 marks off an A*) however, my teacher predicted me an A3 which means low A (borderline B/A basically).

Same with History. I've been getting high As and A*s but I've been predicted A3s.

I used to care about the predicted grades until I realised they mean nothing tbh. As long as you put in the work you're fine and you can easily exceed the targets.

Also teachers tend to lower predictions a bit because if they predict you too high and you don't get the grade then they'll get told off. But if you exceed their predictions then they'll get praised for being a 'good teacher' lol! That's what I've been told.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that the average student makes 3 levels of progress from Year 7 to Year 11. Which technically means you make a jump of about 3 grades, not that KS3 is even tested in grades, but I think it's converted somewhere along the lines. So, some schools make target grades based on this. Some schools trying to get better results will make your target up based on what you could get on 4 levels of progress. Rarely do any students ever make 5 levels, but this is not unheard of but as this is considered hard, I'm guessing only grammar schools set targets based on 5 levels of progress.

On the system, my target grade is an A- for all subjects and I'm exceeding this in a majority of subjects but also coming to high B grades in others. The A- is what I'm predicted based on 4 levels of progress. So, I'd say I'm going above average in terms of progress but at the same time I'm on track with my grades.

I actually hate target grades and they aren't my motivation at all. I simply use them as a milestone so I can say "I've done better than they thought I would." What people want to get at GCSE should be based upon their own personal determination and goals.

So no, it's not a rare thing to beat target grades. After all, they're just a bunch of letters on a piece of paper school wants to make you get so you can slot in as a statistic when they show the school off at open evenings.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.