Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone here has a car through leasing , where you pay so much a month but never own the car and give it back after a few years.
    How much do you pay a month? And is it the way to go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott125)
    Just wondering if anyone here has a car through leasing , where you pay so much a month but never own the car and give it back after a few years.
    How much do you pay a month? And is it the way to go?
    I lease my new Fiesta Titanium. You can get some really good deals if you shop about. I pay 200 quid a month - you tell people you don't get to keep the car at the end of the lease they look at you like "What the hell, you're just throwing money away to drive a nice car!" but this isn't the case at all. With that 200 a month I get insurance; tax (MOT not required as it's brand new); repairs; servicing and maintenance; nationwide breakdown cover; basically, the only other expense is petrol, literally everything else is paid for. All that for 200 a month, plus I'm also getting the privilege of driving around in a brand new, first hand car that I'm not financially invested in so don't give a toss if it gets damaged, as I'll only have it for a while and haven't got to try to sell it later on. I also paid less than £50 as an upfront payment.
    It's worth the money for the piece of mind, as well, knowing that I won't have to fork out if anything goes wrong with the car, or come up with a massive excess (my excess is £100). I'm just not worried about anything.

So yeah, leasing if done right is actually a decent option, financially and if you're the sort of person who prefers to pay out a little extra for less stress. People think it's expensive yet they're paying their tax, insurance, MOT, pumping money into the car to maintain or repair it and, unless it's a pretty old car, they also lose money on it through depreciation. It's financing new cars that's the mug's game IMO - you end up paying out much more than it's worth and by the time you get rid of it you've lost even more money as it depreciates. I've had an old 2000 reg car before which I bought and then insured and all that through normal means, and I'd much rather just do what I'm doing now. Not worried about my car conking out on me, I feel proud driving around in a new car and it's just fun to drive as well, can't say the same for my old car!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I lease my new Fiesta Titanium. You can get some really good deals if you shop about. I pay 200 quid a month - you tell people you don't get to keep the car at the end of the lease they look at you like "What the hell, you're just throwing money away to drive a nice car!" but this isn't the case at all. With that 200 a month I get insurance; tax (MOT not required as it's brand new); repairs; servicing and maintenance; nationwide breakdown cover; basically, the only other expense is petrol, literally everything else is paid for. All that for 200 a month, plus I'm also getting the privilege of driving around in a brand new, first hand car that I'm not financially invested in so don't give a toss if it gets damaged, as I'll only have it for a while and haven't got to try to sell it later on. I also paid less than £50 as an upfront payment.
    It's worth the money for the piece of mind, as well, knowing that I won't have to fork out if anything goes wrong with the car, or come up with a massive excess (my excess is £100). I'm just not worried about anything.

So yeah, leasing if done right is actually a decent option, financially and if you're the sort of person who prefers to pay out a little extra for less stress. People think it's expensive yet they're paying their tax, insurance, MOT, pumping money into the car to maintain or repair it and, unless it's a pretty old car, they also lose money on it through depreciation. It's financing new cars that's the mug's game IMO - you end up paying out much more than it's worth and by the time you get rid of it you've lost even more money as it depreciates. I've had an old 2000 reg car before which I bought and then insured and all that through normal means, and I'd much rather just do what I'm doing now. Not worried about my car conking out on me, I feel proud driving around in a new car and it's just fun to drive as well, can't say the same for my old car!
    Thanks for your reply . Was your lease through Ford?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott125)
    Thanks for your reply . Was your lease through Ford?
    Yeah, always go direct I say, don't like the idea of going through finance companies or the like.

ReputationRep:

This sounds look but naaaaah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdling_CompSci)
    This sounds look but naaaaah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It sounds look? I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds look? I'm confused.
    Cool. Cool I mean. You're a very good writer by the way

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.