Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In mark schemes they usually underline either 1 mol or one mole when you have to say the definition of e.g. 'electron affinity of chlorine'

What is the difference between 1 mol and one mole and would they mark you wrong if you said 1 mol when one mole is underlined in the mark scheme?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Kay Fearn)
    In mark schemes they usually underline either 1 mol or one mole when you have to say the definition of e.g. 'electron affinity of chlorine'

What is the difference between 1 mol and one mole and would they mark you wrong if you said 1 mol when one mole is underlined in the mark scheme?
    one is the SI unit (mol)
    and the other is an Avogadro number of particles (1 mole)

Either would be accepted unless you are specifically asked for the definition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    one is the SI unit (mol)
    and the other is an Avogadro number of particles (1 mole)

Either would be accepted unless you are specifically asked for the definition.
    When would i use 1 mol in definitions and when would i use one mole?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay Fearn)
    When would i use 1 mol in definitions and when would i use one mole?

both would be marked correct

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.