The Student Room Group

An inspector calls help!!!!!!!

I have written part of an essay. It is definitely not good enough so, I was wondering if someone would be able to mark this for me and also tell me how to improve my skills.

In ‘An Inspector Calls’, social class is very important as it is one of the main themes, however, Priestly also presents his own negative views on the class system.
Mrs Birling is her ‘husband’s social superior which presents to the audience that she is of a higher class than Mr Birling. This implies that Mr Birling grew up in a lower class household so he understands how the lower class feel when they are mistreated and made to feel like dirt. But, he puts up a facade because he feels insecure; as the man of the house he needs to be the most powerful person in the Birling family but he isn’t so, he feels the need to show off to Gerald and the inspector. Mr Birling thinks he needs to compensate for the fact that he is Mrs Birling’s social inferior which is why he shows off.
Birling offers Gerald ‘the same port your father gets’; an attempt to look good in front of Gerald. The phrase ‘the same port’ suggests that Mr Birling is subtly trying to persuade Gerald and make him think that Gerald’s father and Mr Birling are on the same level although, Mr Croft is of a higher class. Mr Birling is trying to show Gerald that he also can purchase the finest port.
When the inspector arrives, Mr Birling feels threatened so in order to protect his family name and his dignity, he mentions that he was ‘an alderman for years’ but also ‘Lord mayor two years ago’. This portrays that Mr Birling is trying to present himself as a powerful figure in front of the inspector in order to intimidate and manipulate him.
Dramatisation is triple weighted. Talk about how you would make the scene dramatic, or how another production (like the recent BBC film) makes the scene dramatic. Don't just describe, use stage craft techniques.
That's what my teacher said anyway.
NO! Definitely do not talk about any other perfomance other than the original play. Always relate it back to the play you read as then you will defo get marks for this. If you speak about any other production, they will not take this into consideration.
Is your exam on Monday?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending