Help with AS Economics (Macro) please

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I was doing some MCQs and the following statements (in bold) were correct answers. Could someone please explain why they are correct?

Why is lower tax rates on income most like to be regarded as a supply-side cause of higher economic growth? I would have thought that income tax is a fiscal policy and that this would affect consumers and hence demand.

An economy is experiencing inflation and a balance of payments deficit on current account. All other things being equal, a fall in government spending is most like to reduce both inflation and the balance of payments deficit? i understand that a fall in government spending would cause AD to reduce and hence shift left and hence reduce inflationary pressure, but I don't understand why a fall in government spending would reduce the balance of payments deficit? Surely this would not have much of an effect as balance of payments deficit is caused by import value being larger than export value?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Just an As student as well but with the first one, you could argue that lower income tax is a supply side factor as it raises incentives to work and therefore may lead to an increase in Labour productivity and efficiency I think.

Reduced inflationary pressures would help to reduce the deficit because it would make British goods more competitive against other countries, as the lower the inflation rate the cheaper the good is to buy so for other countries our exports at a lower price are more attractive, therefore the demand for our exports would increase and if the value of exports becomes greater than the value of imports, the deficit improves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    Just an As student as well but with the first one, you could argue that lower income tax is a supply side factor as it raises incentives to work and therefore may lead to an increase in Labour productivity and efficiency I think.

Reduced inflationary pressures would help to reduce the deficit because it would make British goods more competitive against other countries, as the lower the inflation rate the cheaper the good is to buy so for other countries our exports at a lower price are more attractive, therefore the demand for our exports would increase and if the value of exports becomes greater than the value of imports, the deficit improves
    Hi are you on Edexcel A for AS Economics too?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londoncricket)
    Hi are you on Edexcel A for AS Economics too?

Thanks a lot for your reply!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm on AQA If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    I'm on AQA If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help
    Ah okay. I don't have any more for the minute: will PM you if I need. Thank you for your help!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.