Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I haven't used my laptop for a couple of months.
    I switched it on today and it has about 100 updates. It spend 1 hour trying to download them but stayed on 0%
    How do I get around this? Should I system restore to the last successful update?

ReputationRep:
    Which OS do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robinin)
    Which OS do you have?
    Windows 7.
    Also, it was stating 'no battery detected'. I shut it off, took the battery out and then back in again and it now shows as 'plugged in, not charging' even though it is plugged in.
    I uninstalled the battery driver and installed it again and that didn't work.
    Should I drain the battery and then charge with it turned off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    Windows 7.
    Also, it was stating 'no battery detected'. I shut it off, took the battery out and then back in again and it now shows as 'plugged in, not charging' even though it is plugged in.
    I uninstalled the battery driver and installed it again and that didn't work.
    Should I drain the battery and then charge with it turned off?
    Okay, so I've actually had both of these issues before on Windows 7, which helps, so, firstly, can you please do a virus scan? Just in case

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've actually had both of these issues before on Windows 7, which helps, so, firstly, can you please do a virus scan? Just in case
    Yes, however a full scan takes time and may drain the entire battery?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, however a full scan takes time and may drain the entire battery?
    A full scan is preferable, but you can just do a quick scan, if it suits you better due to time constraints. Make sure you keep your system plugged in throughout it, though, because your battery is an issue that I'll have to get to later, if a virus isn't the root of all your problems.

ReputationRep:
    A full scan is preferable, but you can just do a quick scan, if it suits you better due to time constraints. Make sure you keep your system plugged in throughout it, though, because your battery is an issue that I'll have to get to later, if a virus isn't the root of all your problems.
    Is it worth me trying to uninstall the driver just by having the cable plugged in and not the battery? Then rebooting with both the cable and the battery?

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth me trying to uninstall the driver just by having the cable plugged in and not the battery? Then rebooting with both the cable and the battery?
    You could try that, as your computer may just be having issues running the driver,or reading the battery, which can be fixed through a reset, however, if that does not work, it is likely a problem with the battery itself and you should replace it.

ReputationRep:
    You could try that, as your computer may just be having issues running the driver,or reading the battery, which can be fixed through a reset, however, if that does not work, it is likely a problem with the battery itself and you should replace it.
    Okay, weirdly it is now charging after I changed it from the Fujitsu eco setting to the balance setting (I am sure it was previously always on the eco setting).
    I am updating the security software.
    Still have my windows update problem though!

ReputationRep:
    Okay, weirdly it is now charging after I changed it from the Fujitsu eco setting to the balance setting (I am sure it was previously always on the eco setting).
    I am updating the security software.
    Still have my windows update problem though!
    Huh, that's pretty strange, but I guess it's fine if it works now
    See, your Windows Update issues could be being caused by a virus, which may be an easier fix, but you can try this first, if you want:

Go to: Start, then Run
    Type : MSConfig<enter>
    The System configuration window should appear
    click on the Services tab - look at the bottom of the box and mark Hide all Microsoft services
    Then click Disable All - That will disable all services listed
    Apply the change - and Restart
    Once logged back in, Do a Windows Update...
    After the updates has been applied - Redo the MSConfig procedure to enable everything on your system

This solution worked for me when I had the issue

ReputationRep:
    Huh, that's pretty strange, but I guess it's fine if it works now
    See, your Windows Update issues could be being caused by a virus, which may be an easier fix, but you can try this first, if you want:

Go to: Start, then Run
    Type : MSConfig<enter>
    The System configuration window should appear
    click on the Services tab - look at the bottom of the box and mark Hide all Microsoft services
    Then click Disable All - That will disable all services listed
    Apply the change - and Restart
    Once logged back in, Do a Windows Update...
    After the updates has been applied - Redo the MSConfig procedure to enable everything on your system

This solution worked for me when I had the issue
    Thanks I will try this as when I tried the update troubleshooting tool, it was just stalling on 'resolving issues' for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will try this as when I tried the update troubleshooting tool, it was just stalling on 'resolving issues' for a long time.
    Okay, good luck If it doesn't work, you should absolutely check for viruses, though, and if that doesn't solve it, I'm not sure what else you could try, but maybe someone else can help in that situation

ReputationRep:
    This is what I have done so far:

All the troubleshooting available online (e.g. using cmd and all of that)
    Starting and stopping updates through 'run'

At this point, no updates showed but it was hung on checking for updates

Installed the system update readiness tool but again it hung on checking for updates

Entered through safe mode and did a disk cleanup. Went a bit weird as it hung on 'configuring updates 35%' then did 'cleaning up'

Tried again with the checkSUR. Installed this time.
    Currently checking for updates through windows update - will see if it works!

ReputationRep:
    you can tell your computer to disable updates.

ReputationRep:
    Install them in small bunches of 5 to 10 at most. This is a common issue with Windows Update.

ReputationRep:
    So, it appears I may have potentially solved it by doing the following:

"Windows 7 SP1 64

Extremely frustrated for many days trying every solution posted on the Internet. Then finally I found this comment on Softpedia's website and it absolutely works (very easy - but why should we have to do this?):

To resolve this issue: first install KB3145739 manually. Go to Microsoft website to download and then install, even if your Installed History already shows this update.
    Next you should restart and finally you can check for updates in manual mode.
    It takes between 5 or 10 minutes."

I downloaded the update, ran it and then rebooted.
    Went in to windows update to search for updates. After around 1 1/2 hours it found over 100 updates. Downloaded them in 20 minutes and is now installing them.

ReputationRep:
    happened to my computer and the harddrive ****ed up, i got pissed bruv

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.