Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im planning on taking it for A-level, Good choice?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying it at A Level - I've quite enjoyed it however I would say it's a big step up from GCSE!!! But if you're quite good at it and have an interest in it then it would be a very good choice.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're seriously interested in it, I wouldn't recommend it. But if you're willing to work hard and cut your social hours in half, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting - don't do it the new spec and the exam is horrible, no matter how much you revise the EXAM PAPER WILL BE TERRIBLE

ReputationRep:
    Biology is great!! I'm studying it at AS now and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Although if you're planning on taking it, make sure you work hard right from the beginning as when it comes to the exams it'll be so much easier to revise due to the sheer volume of the content which you really can't learn to a high standard by cramming. It definitely takes many hours of work but it's well worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Biology (or any of the sciences) shouldn't be taken lightly at A-Level. You should consider it seriously as it is the most content heavy compared to the other sciences, whereas once you understand a concept like chemistry, you don't really have to learn it (although the exam questions kill you). Nevertheless, it is enjoyable and interesting but be prepared to put in the hours of work for it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing it currently at AS and will also be carrying it on for A2! Like most people have already said, it is a big jump up from GCSE but if you genuinely like the subject and enjoy studying it then you definitely will enjoy studying the content at A level since its basically the same but in a lot more depth!
    Make sure you work hard from the beginning though since there is a LOT of content to remember but otherwise it is a lovely subject (if you're into it )

ReputationRep:
    We're on a new spec this year so it is hard since we have no past papers or anything but you will since you'll be doing it next year! They have loads of resources and if you do actually try then you will be fine, it's a good subject so I'd say consider it if you like it
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by georgina91999)
    I'm planning on doing this next year aswell

ReputationRep:
    The lessons are death.

The exam is a burial.

ReputationRep:
    Can second the opinions above. It's not a decision to be taken lightly but I suppose it depends on your future. I took Bio and it has taken a *lot* of work cause there's a lot to remember. You really need to enjoy the subject and be willing to read about it with an enthusiastic outlook.

ReputationRep:
    Taking Biology was legitimately the worst decision of my life.

Only do it if you are genuinely interested in it and enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    it is hell don't even think about it!!

ReputationRep:
    Also, it's not enough to just get a good grade at GCSE - the jump is HUGE. A at GCSE, U's all year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgina91999)
    The content is absolutely fine! Of course, it is a big step up from GCSE, because there's a lot of detail behind the processes you probably think are very simple right now, but don't worry- your teachers should break it down easily for you. The only issue that I think most of us can agree on is the fact that the exams are SO ridiculous- there's a crap load of maths (statistics)- 10% of your paper is maths. Also, the exams focus a lot on practicals, and "apply your knowledge" kinda questions, which I guess you could improve on if you just practice, practice, practice! I only suggest taking Biology at A-Level if you're really interested. I know a lot of my friends who are just doing it for medicine (because they have to) and they dread it. Good luck!

Note; I'm talking about OCR Biology here, not sure about other boards your school might take.

ReputationRep:
    ONLY do it if you actually like it - loads of people who "thought" they liked it at GCSE grow to hate it at A-Level and end up dropping out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's awful, don't take it. I beg u.

ReputationRep:
    I remember being in the study room and a guy next to me started crying (i could see the tears falling from his eyes). He said to himself why on earth he picked biology and that he doesn't want anything to do with it in the future. I'm pretty sure he was having a mental breakdown there and then. I picked biology and detested it - I had no passion for it whatsoever. However, if you genuinely enjoy biology and want to do something that's related to biology in the future then go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    Its incredibly interesting and any grade at a C or above makes you feel on top of the world because it is so difficult XD
    The content itself isnt difficult, but there is so much content its ridiculous having to learn it all. The specification is very specific though so if you learn than thoroughly youll be fine

ReputationRep:
    it's like someone stuck a thorny rose stem so far up your ass it came out of your mouth and then tied it in a bow

exactly like that
    -1 000 000 / 10 would not recommend
    Spoiler:
    Show
    for real tho it actually ****s up your brain :cry2:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.