georgina91999
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Im planning on taking it for A-level, Good choice?
beth9901
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm currently studying it at A Level - I've quite enjoyed it however I would say it's a big step up from GCSE!!! But if you're quite good at it and have an interest in it then it would be a very good choice.
selvisin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Unless you're seriously interested in it, I wouldn't recommend it. But if you're willing to work hard and cut your social hours in half, then go for it.
retazaia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Disgusting - don't do it the new spec and the exam is horrible, no matter how much you revise the EXAM PAPER WILL BE TERRIBLE
FrooshGuitar
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biology is great!! I'm studying it at AS now and I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Although if you're planning on taking it, make sure you work hard right from the beginning as when it comes to the exams it'll be so much easier to revise due to the sheer volume of the content which you really can't learn to a high standard by cramming. It definitely takes many hours of work but it's well worth it.
angelscity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing it currently at AS and will also be carrying it on for A2! Like most people have already said, it is a big jump up from GCSE but if you genuinely like the subject and enjoy studying it then you definitely will enjoy studying the content at A level since its basically the same but in a lot more depth!
Make sure you work hard from the beginning though since there is a LOT of content to remember but otherwise it is a lovely subject (if you're into it )
angelscity
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We're on a new spec this year so it is hard since we have no past papers or anything but you will since you'll be doing it next year! They have loads of resources and if you do actually try then you will be fine, it's a good subject so I'd say consider it if you like it
username2471155
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by georgina91999)
I'm planning on doing this next year aswell
Anon_98
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The lessons are death.

The exam is a burial.
bonney12
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can second the opinions above. It's not a decision to be taken lightly but I suppose it depends on your future. I took Bio and it has taken a *lot* of work cause there's a lot to remember. You really need to enjoy the subject and be willing to read about it with an enthusiastic outlook.
TajwarC
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Taking Biology was legitimately the worst decision of my life.

Only do it if you are genuinely interested in it and enjoy it.
sakboi21
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it is hell don't even think about it!!
retazaia
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, it's not enough to just get a good grade at GCSE - the jump is HUGE. A at GCSE, U's all year
IRoranth
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by georgina91999)
The content is absolutely fine! Of course, it is a big step up from GCSE, because there's a lot of detail behind the processes you probably think are very simple right now, but don't worry- your teachers should break it down easily for you. The only issue that I think most of us can agree on is the fact that the exams are SO ridiculous- there's a crap load of maths (statistics)- 10% of your paper is maths. Also, the exams focus a lot on practicals, and "apply your knowledge" kinda questions, which I guess you could improve on if you just practice, practice, practice! I only suggest taking Biology at A-Level if you're really interested. I know a lot of my friends who are just doing it for medicine (because they have to) and they dread it. Good luck!

Note; I'm talking about OCR Biology here, not sure about other boards your school might take.
nomophobia
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ONLY do it if you actually like it - loads of people who "thought" they liked it at GCSE grow to hate it at A-Level and end up dropping out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Covington4
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's awful, don't take it. I beg u.
patronusleviosa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I remember being in the study room and a guy next to me started crying (i could see the tears falling from his eyes). He said to himself why on earth he picked biology and that he doesn't want anything to do with it in the future. I'm pretty sure he was having a mental breakdown there and then. I picked biology and detested it - I had no passion for it whatsoever. However, if you genuinely enjoy biology and want to do something that's related to biology in the future then go ahead.
bluesandgreens
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its incredibly interesting and any grade at a C or above makes you feel on top of the world because it is so difficult XD
The content itself isnt difficult, but there is so much content its ridiculous having to learn it all. The specification is very specific though so if you learn than thoroughly youll be fine
z33
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it's like someone stuck a thorny rose stem so far up your ass it came out of your mouth and then tied it in a bow

exactly like that
-1 000 000 / 10 would not recommend
Spoiler:
Show
for real tho it actually ****s up your brain :cry2:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
8.11%
I need help researching courses (3)
8.11%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
8.11%
I need help with my personal statement (18)
48.65%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
18.92%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.7%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
5.41%

Watched Threads