litlanglad
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, i was wondering if someone could come up with a question about sheila from an inspector calls to do for revsion as i cant seem to find any. Cheers
CopyThat
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How does Priestley present the character of Sheila Birling?
Lightning_xo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How deos Preistly use the character of Sheila to present the attitudes of women in the society of 19..(whenever the book was set)
zara_ruby
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Lightning_xo)
How deos Preistly use the character of Sheila to present the attitudes of women in the society of 19..(whenever the book was set)
litlanglad
Rep:
?
Thanks guys, ill do them now
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
"Sheila is the character which changed the most throughout the course of the play"
How far do you agree with this statement?

taken from an edexcel igcse paper x
litlanglad
Rep:
?
Well i just wrote this paragraph, which is answering the first question (about how sheila is presented). Before i do another one, what have i done well and what could be improved?

In Act One of J.B. Priestly’s well made play ‘An Inspector Calls’, Sheila Birling is presented as being “half playful, half serious”. “playful” gives the impression that Sheila is childish, to an extent. The juxtaposition of “playful” and “serious” imply that something is on Sheila’s mind, as she is using her playful personality to hide “serious” thoughts that may be going through her head. This gives her a sense of intelligence; she knows how to use her natural “playful” charm to conceive her thoughts about her husband-to-be Gerald. This is further reinforced by the fact that she says to Gerald that he “never came near” her for “all of last summer”, emphasising her intelligence as she can guess that Gerald has been up to something without telling her, or having any notion that he has been sleeping with someone. Overall, Priestly cleverly uses small details whilst describing Sheila to make her appear to be sharp and intelligent, so that the audience notice that she is a character to watch out for as she is clearly able to notice things that aren’t all that obvious to the other characters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (41)
16.08%
I'm not sure (8)
3.14%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (92)
36.08%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.57%
I'm not a current university student (110)
43.14%

Watched Threads