The Student Room Group

Do you have lecturers/teachers like this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by ThePricklyOne
You oldies resent anyone younger than you, jealous of any one who'll graduate to a decent salaried job.

I spent 20+ years in highly paid jobs before starting my current career. I know what "a decent salaried job" takes out of your life. You have that to come and I don't feel even remotely jealous. You face a much harder world than I did and I feel very sorry for you and your generation.

For that reason, soft-soaping and spoonfeeding students at uni does them a disservice. It would send many students out into the working world, as unprepared as school had left them. It's important to have to work hard for something like a degree. Want something - apply yourself - win. These are life skills. Not looking for ingenious ways to worm out of having to work for things, or to get other people to do them for you. It's tough love, but for some students this is the first time they've ever had to do it.

Unlike you, I don't feel I have to p*ss on someone to feel better about myself.

I'm doing this job because I love it. Thankfully my subject seems to attract very few students with an attitude like yours and I very much enjoy working with them. I've just marked a heap of exam papers which frankly made me proud to be associated with them and chuffed with the level of effort they had all clearly put in. I feel great about what I and my colleagues have achieved in getting this cohort to their current standard. I feel fine about myself and I didn't have to p*ss on anyone.

Being expected to work for things is not someone p*ssing on you. It's what the next forty or fifty years of your life will feel like. You need to learn to handle it better.
Original post by chazwomaq
Yes, attitude problems are annoying aren't they? :biggrin:

Yes, when you're paying £27K (£50K inc. interest) for it.

My 6 yr old cousin can paste pictures to slides, but she only charges me a bar of chocolate, and doesn't pretend she's giving me a uni standard education.:biggrin:

Guess who's value for money?
Original post by Klix88
I spent 20+ years in highly paid jobs before starting my current career. I know what "a decent salaried job" takes out of your life. You have that to come and I don't feel even remotely jealous. You face a much harder world than I did and I feel very sorry for you and your generation.

I'm in a job and in uni. I know what hard work is. But having actual work experience informs me when I'm getting ripped off. Like the OP who started this thread.

Original post by Klix88
For that reason, soft-soaping and spoonfeeding students at uni does them a disservice. It would send many students out into the working world, as unprepared as school had left them. It's important to have to work hard for something like a degree. Want something - apply yourself - win. These are life skills. Not looking for ingenious ways to worm out of having to work for things, or to get other people to do them for you. It's tough love, but for some students this is the first time they've ever had to do it.

'Tough love' is how grown ups sell child abuse to young folks.

Agree that school doesn't prepare students for uni. Many have poor maths/English skills despite getting good grades at A level. This either need to be addressed at uni level or the uni could refuse to admit these students. Instead of taking their money without giving them what they paid for - a university education.

A university education to give them the tools to get a good job, do research or any other role that benefit the individual and society. Poor teaching and poor lectures do nothing towards this. Most students don't want answers on a back of an envelope (which is what you are implying), but to be taught properly so they have the tools to go out in the world. I don't recall anyone in my class saying they don't expect to work hard, and many of them have to juggle work, study and pay the rent/bills. That seems pretty grown up to me.

Original post by Klix88
I'm doing this job because I love it. Thankfully my subject seems to attract very few students with an attitude like yours and I very much enjoy working with them. I've just marked a heap of exam papers which frankly made me proud to be associated with them and chuffed with the level of effort they had all clearly put in. I feel great about what I and my colleagues have achieved in getting this cohort to their current standard. I feel fine about myself and I didn't have to p*ss on anyone.

Yet you clearly feel fine about ripping people off. If a tutor don't want to deliver a university standard education, they don't have to. But students also have the right to demand what they paid for, that is what the university advertised to get them in.

Original post by Klix88
Being expected to work for things is not someone p*ssing on you. It's what the next forty or fifty years of your life will feel like. You need to learn to handle it better.

Beng treated like trash and being ripped off is someone p*ssing on me. That's not 'working for things'.Your failure to distinguish between the two speaks volumes of your attitude to people outside your generation.

Quick Reply

Latest