Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, so I've just finished my second year in uni studying software engineering and have successfully got a placement as a junior software engineer! The placement will be a year long... and it'll be all the way in Manchester.. well at the borders of Manchester to be exact. I've never really been away from home (I live in London) and tbh I haven't been out of London so obviously the thought of me living on my own in a completely different place is very daunting yet exciting. If you guys have any experience in moving out of your homes to live by yourself then please share your experience.

ReputationRep:
    The most important things are where you will live and your work.
    It's not everyone's cup of tea, but consider house/flat-sharing; if you're lucky you'll have other people around in the evenings so you don't get lonely in the first few months there. It's unlikely, from what you've shared, that you will do well in your own place.
    Manchester is a big city with lots to do, so you shouldn't find it too lacking in what you are used to in London
    Expect to need to be pro-active about using your free time. Don't expect a social life to fall into your lap from your job. Join meet-ups or other groups based on your interests, and in time the chances of making friends should increase.
    Have a plan for keeping in touch often with your loved ones for the first few months- Skype, phone, email etc. You will feel homesick, so expect it and take care of it.
    You will learn and grow from the experience, though you may never come to like the weather there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwlilightLoz)
    Hi guys, so I've just finished my second year in uni studying software engineering and have successfully got a placement as a junior software engineer! The placement will be a year long... and it'll be all the way in Manchester.. well at the borders of Manchester to be exact. I've never really been away from home (I live in London) and tbh I haven't been out of London so obviously the thought of me living on my own in a completely different place is very daunting yet exciting. If you guys have any experience in moving out of your homes to live by yourself then please share your experience.
    As Davide said living with others, especially if you hang out together in the evenings/weekends, can help keep you busy. And generally house sharing is the most affordable way to move out. Assuming you have facebook and there are other placement students who will be at the same company, see if there is or will be a group for all of you to chat- this means that some names & faces will be familiar when you move and you can even see if others want to house share. And if you aren't already, try and make sure you are familar with the basics needed to live independently in a house- cooking, cleaning, using a washing machine, budgeting, it will make the transition a lot easier.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.