Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to keep my options open as much as possible for a levels, I'm picking maths, economics and PRE but I'm stuck between english and biology. Which is more useful and what kind of things to you learn about in each subject?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 doing biology, I don't do English so I cant give you much advice about that but in bio we expand upon loads of GCSE knowledge- it's developing on stuff you already know in a lot more detail. There's so much content! It is really enjoyable though, we have practicals that are assessed separately to your exams, but no coursework that's added on or anything. We're in the new spec (OCR) so its kinda hard right now since we have little exam materials like past papers to practice from etc but as a subject it's good and enjoyable and if you think it's good at GCSE then you'll like it at A level too! Just be prepared for loadsss of content!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelscity)
    I'm in year 12 doing biology, I don't do English so I cant give you much advice about that but in bio we expand upon loads of GCSE knowledge- it's developing on stuff you already know in a lot more detail. There's so much content! It is really enjoyable though, we have practicals that are assessed separately to your exams, but no coursework that's added on or anything. We're in the new spec (OCR) so its kinda hard right now since we have little exam materials like past papers to practice from etc but as a subject it's good and enjoyable and if you think it's good at GCSE then you'll like it at A level too! Just be prepared for loadsss of content!
    Thank you! Did you do triple science at GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, if you're hesitant about picking biology (not saying that you are idk) - don't pick it. I thought about keeping my options open, I picked two sciences and two essay based subjects. I ended up hating my two science subjects because I realised I had no passion for them at all.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I am in year 12, and do english literature and language. I truly like english. But that's me. You should pick which one you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Going to be honest here. AS Biology was utter hell. I also did English Lit and that was much better. I ended up getting a D in Biology and an A in English at AS. But that's MY opinion it depends on your attitude to your subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Biology is very difficult, but it is achievable if you put the work in
    I got a C at AS though with lots of work
    It expands a lot on GCSE, triple is not necessary I believe because the stuff you do in triple is not expanded on that much (AQA old spec for me though).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessicasulty)
    Thank you! Did you do triple science at GCSE?
    Yeah I did! For biology I got a B, for chem and physics I got As!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.