Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got A's in all my controlled assessments however if I get a U in my reading or listening exam, does that mean my overall grade is a U? I am aqa btw

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the weighting

ReputationRep:
    If its AQA its 60% course work and then listening and reading are 15% each, so if you got a U in both then you'd probably end up with about a C

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure if 1 U makes the whole grade a U though

ReputationRep:
    A grade U in the listening or the reading is a very very low score on either. That's about 3/40 on the listening (or worse) or 6/45 on the reading (or worse). Did you do Higher for both tests?

Grade A boundary on the controlled assessment for Writing last year was 50/60 and 52/60 for the speaking. (2 best writings and speakings added up). If you got those marks on the controlled assessments, that's 144 ums out of 180. That's 6 ums off a D (for the whole thing if you got 0 ums on both listening and reading) which is 150 ums out of 300 total.

If you did get a U on both Listening AND Reading, you'd get a D overall, possibly a C if you got high As on both your controlled assessments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishan_2000)
    A grade U in the listening or the reading is a very very low score on either. That's about 3/40 on the listening (or worse) or 6/45 on the reading (or worse). Did you do Higher for both tests?

Grade A boundary on the controlled assessment for Writing last year was 50/60 and 52/60 for the speaking. (2 best writings and speakings added up). If you got those marks on the controlled assessments, that's 144 ums out of 180. That's 6 ums off a D (for the whole thing if you got 0 ums on both listening and reading) which is 150 ums out of 300 total.

If you did get a U on both Listening AND Reading, you'd get a D overall, possibly a C if you got high As on both your controlled assessments.
    Yes I did higher for both reading and listening. I might be able to get a D on both papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JerryG)
    Yes I did higher for both reading and listening. I might be able to get a D on both papers.
    If you get a D on both papers, you'd be fairly close to a B actually, definitely a mid-high C. Maybe lower grade boundaries than last year, so a definite C then, possible B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishan_2000)
    If you get a D on both papers, you'd be fairly close to a B actually, definitely a mid-high C. Maybe lower grade boundaries than last year, so a definite C then, possible B.
    My teacher told me I got 52/60 on writing and I just scraped an A for speaking. Where are you finding the grade to ums conversion charts?

ReputationRep:
    My teacher told me I got 52/60 on writing and I just scraped an A for speaking. Where are you finding the grade to ums conversion charts?
    Did you do AQA higher listening?
    I found it a bit hard too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rajive)
    Did you do AQA higher listening?
    I found it a bit hard too
    I found it quite hard. But the reading was much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonyeka)
    I found it quite hard. But the reading was much easier.
    Lucky you, you did higher reading l, I did foundation reading

ReputationRep:
    Just type into Google 'aqa ums converter' and the first link takes you there. Just choose Spanish in the drop down list, and I have used last year June 2015's grade boundaries, as this year will have similar grade boundaries. Unit 3 and 4 are the Writing and Speaking. Unit 1 and 2 are the Listening and Reading.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.