Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I have performed quite poorly in my first year, mainly due to accommodation (which caused some health issues), and due to the fact that I had to work to sustain myself. I now have to resit 2 modules, but I was thinking if it is worth it and/or recommended to transfer to a science or engineering foundation year.
    • Very Important Poster

    Very Important Poster
    If thats what you want to do, but will you perform any better? What you need to do is ask SFE whether they will fund any such degree as you will have used up your spare year.
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Probably yes for the science foundation but the engineering foundation will probably prefer you looked into just transferring straight into first year physics/engineering rather than doing the foundation THEN the course.

    Also as noted by 999tigger, there are financial ramifications; specifically, speaking from experience, you need to be VERY careful to register for SFE for the SAME degree programme/code each year after you start the foundation (i.e. the code for Chemistry with Foundation, not the code for any foundation year degree then the code for the BSc or MSci Chemistry) as they WILL drop you a year of tuition funding if you do it the other way.

    You should get maintenance funding trhoughout however, and provided you stick to the same course you switch to through foundation (from the beginning of the foundation as well) you should be fine with tuition; if you fail a year and need to repeat, or change which course your'e doing out of foundation (e.g. from Biomedical Sci to Biochem, or Marine Bio to Oceanography) you'll very likely lose out on a year of tuition.

    SFE are the worst, basically. In either case you should speak to the relevant directors of those programmes and see what they advise; another caveat is that often they will prefer you pass all the modules, even if you just scrape passes, before transferring into another course.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.