The Student Room Group

AQA AS English Literature 7716 Aspects of Tragedy - 20th May 2016

Hi everyone

I was wondering if anyone else did Othello and Death of salesman and how they found the exam?

Othello was on extract from act 1 scene 1 of Iago, Barbantio and Roderigo, I personally thought there was not much to write on Roderigo , but I am glad Iago came up, however since the extract was from very early on the play, how did you link it to the rest of the play overall to meet A04 and AO5?
The death of a salesman question was horrible, I didnt know what to write at all, or what qoutes to put in, i feel like i didnt link it to the question what so ever, so i really need to do well in the next exam, how did you guys find it?

Is anyone else doing Tess of the D'urbevilles and Thomas hardy poems on the exam on Thursday (26th may)
and how are you going to revise for it? I am pretty worried because I feel as though I didnt do so well on the first exam and I find Tess of the d'urbevilles difficult
I did Othello and streetcar, didn't find it too bad. Yeah there wasn't a lot to say for Brabantio or Roderigo. For Iago I said how his deceptive nature and skills are shown this early in the play and I linked it to how he would then manipulate events later on therefore Shakespeare had established him the stage villain before we are even introduced to the tragic hero.

I'm doing Gatsby and Hardy poetry next week. For Hardy I'm making a mind map for each poem and sticking on the most important things. Learning which poetic form is used for each poem and who is the speaker and listener is intended to be.

Since it's a new spec, I felt like they've played it quite safe with Friday's exam, hopefully it will all go well Thursday too.
I'm sure you'll be okay, try planning out how to answer difficult questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think they definitely missed out on a good opportunity to really discuss Othello by not using an extract from Act 3 Scene 3.
Reply 3
Original post by jaidachacko
I think they definitely missed out on a good opportunity to really discuss Othello by not using an extract from Act 3 Scene 3.

yeah they did ahha but im glad iago came up because there is a lot to say about him, but yeah if the extract was from a scene with iago and othello, it would have been a lot easier aha :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by jaidachacko
I did Othello and streetcar, didn't find it too bad. Yeah there wasn't a lot to say for Brabantio or Roderigo. For Iago I said how his deceptive nature and skills are shown this early in the play and I linked it to how he would then manipulate events later on therefore Shakespeare had established him the stage villain before we are even introduced to the tragic hero.

I'm doing Gatsby and Hardy poetry next week. For Hardy I'm making a mind map for each poem and sticking on the most important things. Learning which poetic form is used for each poem and who is the speaker and listener is intended to be.

Since it's a new spec, I felt like they've played it quite safe with Friday's exam, hopefully it will all go well Thursday too.
I'm sure you'll be okay, try planning out how to answer difficult questions.

yeah i wrote that too for Iago, thats good to know i wrote something similar of how the extract relates to the play as a whole :smile:
i read the streetcar named desire question and i really liked it ahha to bad we didnt get a good question like that :')

do you know where i could find examples for the Hardy poetry question or if you have any yourself? how many points are you going to learn for each poem? can you give me an example of how you are going to structure the Great Gatsby and poetry question if you dont mind?
thankyou in advance :smile:
Original post by emerald17
yeah i wrote that too for Iago, thats good to know i wrote something similar of how the extract relates to the play as a whole :smile:
i read the streetcar named desire question and i really liked it ahha to bad we didnt get a good question like that :':wink:

do you know where i could find examples for the Hardy poetry question or if you have any yourself? how many points are you going to learn for each poem? can you give me an example of how you are going to structure the Great Gatsby and poetry question if you dont mind?
thankyou in advance :smile:

hey! i sat that exam and continued it to A Level doing the same texts, just wondering if you mind sharing what grade you got? noone from my college managed above a C and we were struggling to find out why! :smile:
Hi can anyone remeber the Othello question on the AS AQA paper 2017? as I have done all the other past paper questions. Thank you!!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending