Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My brother bought a new PC and left behind his old PC minus the power supply and hard drive.

My mum has an old Pentium D with Windows XP. Would it be possible to take her hard drive with XP installed and install it into my brother's old PC? Brother's PC has 8GB of DDR3 Ram which requires a 64 bit operating system to use.

My question is will a 32 bit XP OS work with 8GB of ram and a Corei5 processor? Will only 4GB be utilised or will it not work full stop? Is there any reason why XP just can not work with a modern CPU and motherboard? Also is there any problems with moving an OS from one computer onto another due to ******** DRM stuff?

I'm also planning on using a my mum's power supply (I'm going to remove my brother's GPU to lower the wattage required, mum doesn't play video games ).

Thanks in advance for any help. :top:

ReputationRep:
    Why would you use xp? You know its a security risk as no updates are being rolled out for it.. Yes it would work but I advise against it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you plan to use it as a boot drive (i.e.to run Windows on that PC) then no it won't work.

When you first install Windows, the OS installs drivers specific to your hardware. If try to run Windows on the same hard drive on a different set of hardware, when you turn on the computer the computer will try and look for hardware that isn't there anymore (resulting in not being able to boot).

If the computer came preinstalled with XP then Windows will not activate on the new computer (manufacturers tie the key to the motherboard).

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    My brother bought a new PC and left behind his old PC minus the power supply and hard drive.

My mum has an old Pentium D with Windows XP. Would it be possible to take her hard drive with XP installed and install it into my brother's old PC? Brother's PC has 8GB of DDR3 Ram which requires a 64 bit operating system to use.

My question is will a 32 bit XP OS work with 8GB of ram and a Corei5 processor? Will only 4GB be utilised or will it not work full stop? Is there any reason why XP just can not work with a modern CPU and motherboard? Also is there any problems with moving an OS from one computer onto another due to ******** DRM stuff?

I'm also planning on using a my mum's power supply (I'm going to remove my brother's GPU to lower the wattage required, mum doesn't play video games ).

Thanks in advance for any help. :top:
    In theory, it will work. It can be iffy though, depending on the hardware. I've done it with XP and Windows 7 drives and it's worked - I've even done it with a Windows 10 drive once.

I'd greatly recommend getting a fresh drive though, or at least doing a fresh build. Running XP on a machine with that kind of spec, you might just as well put Windows 3.1 on it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you'd have to reinstall at the very least. That being said: don't. Install a modern operating system.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.