Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Chemical Engineering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've never really known what Uni course I'd like to study and never thought it was vital to be sure of it at this stage (doing gcse's).

I've found out about Chemical Engineering and after looking into it more, It's definitely my type of thing

The A-Levels I've chosen are:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Economics

Should I take up Further Maths instead of Economics? Or just leave it as it is being as I might change my mind about what I aspire to do

ReputationRep:
    I'm aiming to go into mechanical engineering and I currently do AS maths, physics, further maths and a BTEC engineering if you want to go into engineering I would recommend further maths due to the mechanics units I would say only do further maths if you want to do it as it is hard and you have to be able to understand a lot of the maths as you have to do proofs and show thats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    probably not really needed, just and added bonus, only do further maths, if you love maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DSG7799)
    I'm aiming to go into mechanical engineering and I currently do AS maths, physics, further maths and a BTEC engineering if you want to go into engineering I would recommend further maths due to the mechanics units I would say only do further maths if you want to do it as it is hard and you have to be able to understand a lot of the maths as you have to do proofs and show thats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would Further Maths be of more use to me than Economics for an Engineering degree?
    I love Maths but I'm just not crazy about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiniun)
    Would Further Maths be of more use to me than Economics for an Engineering degree?
    Further will help, but learning it at this level is a hassle and a waste of time, economics wont help at all in engineering.

ReputationRep:
    Further maths would definitely be more useful but I think you need to look at what you would do in further maths if you picked it and talk to a maths teacher about if it's a good option for you. For further maths you don't have to be crazy about it but you do have to be determined to work in it for a good grade as it is by far my hardest subject especially since I did an A2 unit even though I am doing AS levels at the moment as I am in year 12.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Economics isn't of any use to engineering, whereas further maths directly covers a lot of the content from the maths modules in engineering. So, yes, further maths is a lot more useful.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.