The Student Room Group

Business Studies - Mickey Mouse subject?

I am going to do English A Level starting in September and I was also going to take Business Studies but there seems to be lots of comments about it being a 'Mickey Mouse' subject. :frown: Why is it that Business Studies doesn't seem to be very well regarded? I thought it would be quite a hard course to take?

What are other people's comments on this subject and is anyone here taking it? I definitely want to take English but now I am not sure which other subject to take!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People tend to opt for economics.

Personally speaking, i dont think its a micky mouse subject, but combine it with other subjects relevant to what you want to do as a career / course at university.

I did business studies GCSE and i actually found it hard.
Reply 2
Business Studies definatly is NOT a mickey mouse subject. To be fair the fact it has the word 'studies' in its name doesn't help (I mean you have Media Studies, Film Studies and General Studies which are mickey mouse subjects imo). I'm taking economics though becuase I'm not that good at the non-economic aspects of business studies such as marketing.

EDIT: Oh god, just seen the 'Media Studies is NOT a mickey mouse subject' thread *puts on fireproof clothing*
Business good. Economics good with it. It's all good.
Reply 4
Some of the marketing concepts in A level business studies are quite advanced. Out of the 3 modules I did for my AS I would say 1 of them was mickey mouse if you're British and have a family that runs a business (its all common sense stuff like LTD companies. PLCs etc) the other modules are harder.
I enjoyed it at AS level, it's useful subject but unfortunately it's not the most respected A level in the world. You could do a lot worse though, as long as it combined with more triditional A levels i don't see a problem with you taking it up.
shyopstv
(I mean you have Media Studies, Film Studies and General Studies which are mickey mouse subjects imo).

lol! Media studies is definately NOT a mickey mouse subject, anything but....
Cellardore

hmmmm
Reply 8
Cellardore
Lol lets not go down that route.... again but I do agree with you. People just believe what they want to make them seem better.

Edit- Dazya being a classic example.
amazingtrade
Lol lets not go down that route.... again but I do agree with you. People just believe what they want to make them seem better.

um Media studies is probably a tough A level, i'm just saying it isn't favoured upon as much as Chemistry/Physics
amazingtrade

lol, i agree. it does get rather irritating tho. But if someone insults my subject(s) i'm not gonna let them get away with it:tongue: i have proof to back that up! :rolleyes:
Reply 11
Cellardore
lol, i agree. it does get rather irritating tho. But if someone insults my subject(s) i'm not gonna let them get away with it:tongue: i have proof to back that up! :rolleyes:

Exactly I have not studies media studies but those I know who have a certainly not thick, and it is quite often the snobs that turn it into mickey mouse anyway.
amazingtrade
Exactly I have not studies media studies but those I know who have a certainly not thick, and it is quite often the snobs that turn it into mickey mouse anyway.
Yes, but it's still the case, whatever the content is, that the subject isn't respected by many universities. I would say the "Mickey Mouse" accusation refers more to degrees than A-Levels.
Reply 13
Which universities don't like business studies though? As longs as you meet the specific subjects then business studies can't do any harm surely.
amazingtrade
Which universities don't like business studies though? As longs as you meet the specific subjects then business studies can't do any harm surely.
To name one: LSE - they don't consider business studies an academic subject. I'm sure there are others.
Reply 15
BazTheMoney
To name one: LSE - they don't consider business studies an academic subject. I'm sure there are others.

Thats a very elite insitution though, I don't even cosnider some of the lecturers of those places as proper human beings. When you here them on the TV they sound like real snobs who have no idea about the real world. (I know they are not all like that)

I am sure most universities do accept it.
amazingtrade
Thats a very elite insitution though, I don't even cosnider some of the lecturers of those places as proper human beings. When you here them on the TV they sound like real snobs who have no idea about the real world. (I know they are not all like that)

I am sure most universities do accept it.
That's a very narrow minded view. They're also the people who are best at their subject, and know how to constantly produce candidates of a high calibre. I don' know why you feel the need to belittle their opinion in such a way, these people tend to know what they're talking about.

And yes, universities will ACCEPT it, but that dosen't mean the subject is highly repected.
Reply 17
BazTheMoney
That's a very narrow minded view. They're also the people who are best at their subject, and know how to constantly produce candidates of a high calibre. I don' know why you feel the need to belittle their opinion in such a way, these people tend to know what they're talking about.

And yes, universities will ACCEPT it, but that dosen't mean the subject is highly repected.

It is narrowminded but its no more narrowminded than refusing to even regonise certain subjects exist. They could be missing out on brilliant students as a result.
amazingtrade
It is narrowminded but its no more narrowminded than refusing to even regonise certain subjects exist. They could be missing out on brilliant students as a result.
Yes, and I agree that BS should be more respected; but whereas you have accessed all LSE staff by a few people talking on TV, they have came to there decision by working with 1000s of students and suggesting what A-Level don't help that much when studying their subjects; and along with Art, Law and Accounting, BS isn't that useful either. And when you look at the league tables every year, it's hard to argue with them.
Reply 19
BazTheMoney
Yes, and I agree that BS should be more respected; but whereas you have accessed all LSE staff by a few people talking on TV, they have came to there decision by working with 1000s of students and suggesting what A-Level don't help that much when studying their subjects; and along with Art, Law and Accounting, BS isn't that useful either. And when you look at the league tables every year, it's hard to argue with them.

I did say not all of them are like that. Its just when you come from a background like mine you can't study fancy things like economics, you are forced to stuff like business studies instead.

I just don't agree with elitism thats all but this may be argued on a thread I will make tomorrow if I can be bothered.

Latest

Trending

Trending