The Student Room Group

Exceptional Circumstances

So recently my health has taken a bad turn (the week before I have 3 of my Highers...), my jaw has been extremely painful, as I have temporomandibular joint disorder, and I also contracted a severe ear infection.

I think I would be able to get a sick line for this to get an appeal for my Physics, Business and Computing exams, but I plan on sitting the exams too.
Does anyone know if I score well in the exam, but submit an appeal, will they solely look at the work my school has sent in, or will they also take into consideration the exam paper? For example, I got a C in my Physics prelim, but if I got a B in the actual exam, would I achieve a B or a C?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by Simmeh-chan
So recently my health has taken a bad turn (the week before I have 3 of my Highers...), my jaw has been extremely painful, as I have temporomandibular joint disorder, and I also contracted a severe ear infection.

I think I would be able to get a sick line for this to get an appeal for my Physics, Business and Computing exams, but I plan on sitting the exams too.
Does anyone know if I score well in the exam, but submit an appeal, will they solely look at the work my school has sent in, or will they also take into consideration the exam paper? For example, I got a C in my Physics prelim, but if I got a B in the actual exam, would I achieve a B or a C?

Thanks

if you sat the exam, the exam would be sent for marking anyways so they would most likely take that into consideration also. They don't just say, you got a C in your prelim so we'll give you a C. The school compiles a whole load of evidence including NABs, Tests, Prelims, Coursework. They look at how you did in stages throughout the year and determine what level you would be at come May, if you were well enough to sit the exam. I suggest you speak to your SQA co-oridnator in the school, usually the SMT or someone important, they will probably be able to tell you more than i can, this is just what our co-ordinator told us in an assembly, and so they will be able to advise you.
Reply 2
Contact your school and you may be given extra time or allowed to sit the exam at a later date.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Simmeh-chan
So recently my health has taken a bad turn (the week before I have 3 of my Highers...), my jaw has been extremely painful, as I have temporomandibular joint disorder, and I also contracted a severe ear infection. I think I would be able to get a sick line for this to get an appeal for my Physics, Business and Computing exams, but I plan on sitting the exams too. Does anyone know if I score well in the exam, but submit an appeal, will they solely look at the work my school has sent in, or will they also take into consideration the exam paper? For example, I got a C in my Physics prelim, but if I got a B in the actual exam, would I achieve a B or a C? Thanks
It's really unfortunate that your health has not been good at this time :frown:. As suggested by others, contact your SQA coordinator before these exams if possible. Definitely sit the exam if you can as I have been told that it is better that way (by the SQA coordinator in my school) and do your best on the day.Extra time would perhaps be of benefit to you in this circumstance and I think the school can 'apply' to give you 'emergency/extenuating circumstances' extra time- again, ask your SQA coordinator.I'm not certain about this but I think they would look at what you got on the day and if it was the same as/better than what you were predicted/what your prelim/coursework shows, you would get what you got on the day. If you performed worse than expected on the day, I think they could potentially make adjustments to what you got on the day to take your circumstances into account.
Original post by alana_p
Contact your school and you may be given extra time or allowed to sit the exam at a later date. Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately, the OP would not be allowed to sit an SQA exam at a later date as they could in theory have seen the paper from a teacher or another pupil as some pupils take the paper out with them(if you write in an answer booklet) and teachers generally get a copy once the exam is finished. The invigilators are allowed to start letting people leave the exam after 45 minutes (I've been told by our chief invigilator), so any candidates who wish to sit the exam and have not started before this time has passed cannot sit the exam, let alone do it on another day.Just make sure you speak to your SQA coordinator, sit the exam if you are well enough and do your best on the day. Hope this helps and that it goes well for you :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Labrador99
It's really unfortunate that your health has not been good at this time :frown:. As suggested by others, contact your SQA coordinator before these exams if possible. Definitely sit the exam if you can as I have been told that it is better that way (by the SQA coordinator in my school) and do your best on the day.Extra time would perhaps be of benefit to you in this circumstance and I think the school can 'apply' to give you 'emergency/extenuating circumstances' extra time- again, ask your SQA coordinator.I'm not certain about this but I think they would look at what you got on the day and if it was the same as/better than what you were predicted/what your prelim/coursework shows, you would get what you got on the day. If you performed worse than expected on the day, I think they could potentially make adjustments to what you got on the day to take your circumstances into account.Unfortunately, the OP would not be allowed to sit an SQA exam at a later date as they could in theory have seen the paper from a teacher or another pupil as some pupils take the paper out with them(if you write in an answer booklet) and teachers generally get a copy once the exam is finished. The invigilators are allowed to start letting people leave the exam after 45 minutes (I've been told by our chief invigilator), so any candidates who wish to sit the exam and have not started before this time has passed cannot sit the exam, let alone do it on another day.Just make sure you speak to your SQA coordinator, sit the exam if you are well enough and do your best on the day. Hope this helps and that it goes well for you :smile:

I only say that because i thought there was other papers produced? If someone was extremely unwell on the day of their exam and couldn't get out of bed etc i doubt the sqa would just be like nope, no qualifications for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
I only say that because i thought there was other papers produced? If someone was extremely unwell on the day of their exam and couldn't get out of bed etc i doubt the sqa would just be like nope, no qualifications for you. Posted from TSR Mobile
They do have other papers like the one they had to use for Higher English this year, but that would be for everyone to sit, not just an individual and would only be used in the event of the security of the paper being compromised or something like that. It would be unfair for an individual to have a different paper compared to the rest of the candidates in that particular year as some people may prefer one paper over the other, even if they were of the same difficulty . They don't just say "nope, no qualifications for you" and that is why the extenuating circumstances system is in place for people who are unwell/ have a family emergency/ bereavement, etc. Hope this clarifies things :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks everyone! Unfortunately it's looking less likely that I'll be able to sit Physics, but I'll get my Mum to phone in and ask. Thanks for helping me feel more confident for Physics :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest