Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically I'm in Year 12 and so far Reading is my top choice and I was wondering if any current Lit students could help me out?

What's the workload like? Obviously there's a lot of reading involved but did you ever find it overwhelming? Also what's the course itself like; are lecturers interested and engaging? Are the modules you study interesting and relevant? Do you feel like you get a lot of support?

Sorry for the bombardment ~ I am going to the open day on the 18th of June, but I want to hear all this from a real student and I'm irrationally worried about making the wrong choice ~

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I do lit and lang here but hope I can still be a bit of help.

I've just finished my first year and i've loved it! So the workload hasn't been unbearable by any means, I've had two major hand in times- one before the christmas holidays and one before the easter holidays. As long as you start those essays nice and early and attend the seminars you'll be absolutely fine, as they give you all the guidance you could need! My best advice would be to start the reading as early as possible, and try and do as much as you can over summer. I definitely did not keep on top of the reading (too busy having fun hehe) but it's made the run up to the exams stressful as I've had to do a lot of rushed reading, and that's with only doing half the literature modules of a full literature student. You can get through first year not reading everything as long as you always have the gist of the subject text, but if you read over summer you'll get so much more out of the year! I am definitely going to be doing a lot of reading over summer as I've got lucky this year slacking a bit but I think next year will be a completely different story lol.

The modules I have done have been the core ones and I've found them super interesting. You get a wide variety of lecturers so will find you engage with some more than others, but on the whole I've enjoyed the vast majority of lectures and seminars. Support is definitely there if you need it- try to go to all the seminars as they're the most helpful and I feel work so much better for literature than lectures do as it gives you a chance to chat about the text and throw ideas around, whereas lectures it's just trying to write down the key points the lecturer is pointing out. I've had a few seminar leaders and they're sooo lovely, never judge you if you don't understand something and always open to all ideas.

Sorry for the essay but I was in your position last year and I wish someone had told me more about it before I started, so hopefully you'll find it useful. Don't worry about anything as it all falls into place, it's not too much of a step up from A-level and you'll love it anymore questions let me know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammmm1001)
    Hey! I do lit and lang here but hope I can still be a bit of help.

I've just finished my first year and i've loved it! So the workload hasn't been unbearable by any means, I've had two major hand in times- one before the christmas holidays and one before the easter holidays. As long as you start those essays nice and early and attend the seminars you'll be absolutely fine, as they give you all the guidance you could need! My best advice would be to start the reading as early as possible, and try and do as much as you can over summer. I definitely did not keep on top of the reading (too busy having fun hehe) but it's made the run up to the exams stressful as I've had to do a lot of rushed reading, and that's with only doing half the literature modules of a full literature student. You can get through first year not reading everything as long as you always have the gist of the subject text, but if you read over summer you'll get so much more out of the year! I am definitely going to be doing a lot of reading over summer as I've got lucky this year slacking a bit but I think next year will be a completely different story lol.

The modules I have done have been the core ones and I've found them super interesting. You get a wide variety of lecturers so will find you engage with some more than others, but on the whole I've enjoyed the vast majority of lectures and seminars. Support is definitely there if you need it- try to go to all the seminars as they're the most helpful and I feel work so much better for literature than lectures do as it gives you a chance to chat about the text and throw ideas around, whereas lectures it's just trying to write down the key points the lecturer is pointing out. I've had a few seminar leaders and they're sooo lovely, never judge you if you don't understand something and always open to all ideas.

Sorry for the essay but I was in your position last year and I wish someone had told me more about it before I started, so hopefully you'll find it useful. Don't worry about anything as it all falls into place, it's not too much of a step up from A-level and you'll love it anymore questions let me know!

Ahhh thank you so much!! That was really helpful and helped calm my somewhat irrational fears On a more general note, what's Reading like as a place to live? I live quite far north and because of its proximity to London my mum warned me it'd be expensive - have you found that? And what's the night life like there?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.